Understanding Generators: Exploring Induction and Alternating Current

In summary, AC generators work by inducing a current through the motion of a coil in a magnetic field. The coil produces an alternating current by rotating in a full 360 degrees, with half of the cycle producing current in one direction and the other half producing current in the opposite direction. This happens even if the rotation is only in one direction. To prevent the wires from getting twisted, slip rings and brushes are used. To get DC current, complicated switching is required. It is helpful to look at diagrams and animations of AC generators for a better understanding.
Aichuk
So I was just reading on generators. The basics that I've understood is that it works by inducing a current through motion of a coil on a magnetic field.
So what I didn't understand was that it produces an alternate current through full 360` rotation. In a half cycle, it induces a current in one direction and in the other half cycle it induces the current in the opposite direction. What I don't understand is that if it is rotating ONLY clockwise or anticlockwise, then why is it producing an alternating current? I thought that would happen if it rotated a half-cycle clockwise and then it rotated back to its original position by rotating a half cycle anticlockwise.
Also on a side note, doesn't the wire get twisted up if the coil keeps rotating in one direction constantly?

Edit: The title says transformers while I meant generators.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think your question is about AC generators. Transformers don't rotate in most circumstances.

Just like any other circular motion, a coil rotated by 360 degrees is back where it started from. Rotate it agai I. The same direction and it will be back in the same place once again. You don't need to know anything about electricity to see that.

Oh right I'm so sorry, I mistakenly wrote transformers when I wanted to write generators.

anorlunda said:
I think your question is about AC generators. Transformers don't rotate in most circumstances.

Just like any other circular motion, a coil rotated by 360 degrees is back where it started from. Rotate it agai I. The same direction and it will be back in the same place once again. You don't need to know anything about electricity to see that.

Yeah but why doesn't it make an AC current. If it's rotating in one direction, then won't it just create a DC?

It would be a good idea to Google AC generator because there are dozens of diagrams and even animations to see.
First of all, the wires don't get twisted because Slip Rings and Brushes are used.
Secondly, as the coil rotates, the wires go up and down through the field, that changes the direction of the current, whichever direction the coil rotates. If you want DC out, you have to do complicated switching to keep the current in the same direction all the time. (A Commutator) Look at those diagrams - google 'Animations AC generator' and watch the pretty pictures.

1. What is a transformer?

A transformer is a device that is used to transfer electrical energy from one circuit to another through electromagnetic induction. It is made up of two or more coils of wire, known as windings, which are wrapped around a core made of magnetic material.

2. How does a transformer work?

A transformer works on the principle of electromagnetic induction. When an alternating current flows through one of the windings, it creates a constantly changing magnetic field around the coil. This changing magnetic field then induces an electrical current in the other winding, transferring the energy from one circuit to the other.

3. What are the different types of transformers?

There are two main types of transformers: step-up transformers and step-down transformers. A step-up transformer increases the voltage of the current, while a step-down transformer decreases the voltage. Other types of transformers include auto-transformers, isolation transformers, and instrument transformers.

4. What are transformers used for?

Transformers are used for a variety of purposes, such as stepping up or stepping down the voltage of electricity for use in different applications, isolating electrical equipment from the power supply, and reducing power loss during transmission of electricity over long distances.

5. What is the difference between a transformer and an inductor?

While both transformers and inductors are made up of coils of wire and use the principle of electromagnetic induction, they have different functions. A transformer is used to transfer electrical energy from one circuit to another, while an inductor is used to store energy in the form of a magnetic field.