1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question on vectors.

1. Jul 24, 2006 #1
    my question is from klppner's text an introduction to mechanics, on page 26, they suppose a vector A(t) has a constant magnitude A, he states that the direction dA(t)/dt is always perpendicular to A(t), now they define [tex]\triangle A=A(t+\triangle t)-A(t)[/tex], he states that [tex]|\triangle A|=2Asin(\frac{\triangle\theta}{2})[/tex] i dont understand how did they arrive at the last equation, and dont understand which angle does he refer to. he states that it's defined in a sketch in the book but i cant find where does he state this?

thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2006 #2
    I don't have the book with me now, but I think [tex]\Delta\theta[/tex] is the angle between the [tex]A(t)[/tex] and [tex]A(t+\Delta t)[/tex]. The equation becomes more accurate as the angle becomes smaller.

4. Jul 24, 2006 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[itex]\Delta \theta[/itex] is the angle between[itex]A(t+\triangle t)[/itex] and A(t). Since both vectors are of magnitude A, the law of cosines gives

[tex]\Delta A^2 = A^2+A^2-2AAcos(\Delta \theta)[/tex]

And [itex] cos(2x) = 1 - 2sin^2(x)[/itex], so...

5. Jul 24, 2006 #4

benorin

Homework Helper

Ok, Draw a vector for A(t), and then draw another for [tex]A(t+\triangle t)[/tex] with the same length and starting from the same point in space. The angle [tex]\triangle\theta[/tex] is acute angle between these two vectors and [tex]\triangle A[/tex] is the vector that forms the third side of the isosceles triangle having A(t) and [tex]A(t+\triangle t)[/tex] for sides (and it terminates in the same place [tex]A(t+\triangle t)[/tex] does). Construct the altitude of this triangle and consider one of the resulting identical right triangles with one leg being the altitude, one leg is of length [tex]\frac{1}{2}\left| \triangle A\right| [/tex], and the hypotenuse is of length A. Use trig.

6. Jul 24, 2006 #5
    [tex]|\Delta A| = \sqrt{(A(t+\Delta t)-A(t))\cdot(A(t+\Delta t)-A(t))}[/tex]

[tex] = \sqrt{|A(t+\Delta t)|^2 - 2A(t+\Delta t)\cdot A(t) + |A(t)|^2}
    = \sqrt{A^2 - 2A^2\cos {\Delta \theta} + A^2}[/tex]

[tex] = \sqrt{2A^2 - 2A^2\cos{\Delta \theta}} = \sqrt{2}A\sqrt{1-\cos{\Delta \theta}}.[/tex]

Now use the identity [itex] \sin^2{\phi} = \frac{1}{2}(1-\cos{2\phi})[/itex] to change that into

[tex] \sqrt{2}A\sqrt{2\sin^2{\frac{\Delta \theta}{2}}}[/tex]

[tex] = 2A\sin \frac{\Delta \theta}{2}.[/tex]

Here, [itex]\Delta \theta[/itex] is the angle between [itex]A(t+\Delta t)[/itex] and [itex]A(t)[/itex] and [itex]A[/itex] is the (constant) magnitude of the vector function.

7. Jul 24, 2006 #6
    thank you for your help.

8. Jul 24, 2006 #7
    by the way, neutrino, you havent bought the booog, have you?
    ive seen in amazon that it's quite coasts a lot.

9. Jul 24, 2006 #8
    What's that? Some new variant for the word book?

10. Jul 25, 2006 #9
    no just big funny typing error.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?