Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question regarding a.c.

1. Mar 19, 2012 #1
    Hi everyone,
    I have a query in my mind that what will happen when frequency of main voltage(220 V ac) increases from 50 to 60(or more) accidentally.What will be effect on output voltage(and frequency) from a step-down transformer connected next to main supply cable for power supply circuit???

Plz plz answer my question

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2012 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi yousuf21! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif [Broken]

It's a good question. What do you think might happen? and why? :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Mar 20, 2012 #3
    If I had some idea than why should have I ask here? Seriously I'm confused:confused:

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Mar 20, 2012 #4
    Use a step-down transformer only if one side of the 220 mains is a good safe ground, and if the 220 ac plug is polarized.

Examine the effect of the frequency change on the transformer output voltage, input inductance, reactive input current, excitation B field, and core losses.

6. Mar 20, 2012 #5
    The generator set will have an AVR (automatic voltage regulator) this operates independently of the frequency so should maintain the voltage at the correct level.

7. Mar 21, 2012 #6

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I'm thinking the situation is probably of an electrical appliance designed for 50Hz mains that OP is tempted to try operating off 60Hz mains.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook