A question related with propagators in position space

In summary: F(k) = (2pi) * exp[i*k*x] * dk ----------------------------------------------------(13)8. Comparing (13) with (4), we can see that the equation is proven. Therefore, the Fourier transformation rules for the given function have been proven.In summary, the Fourier transformation rules for a function can be proven using integration techniques and properties of the Fourier transform. By using substitutions and properties such as the Fourier transform and its inverse, we can simplify the integral and ultimately prove the given equation.
sufive
Dear Colleagues,

How to prove Fourier transformation rules of the following function

\int k^a * exp[i*k*x] * dk = x^{-1-a} * Gamma[1+a] * sin[a*pi/2] ------------(1)

I need this equation to prove some conclusions in translating propagators
in momentum space to position-space. I wish those know solutions to this
question give me hints or references urgently.

The following is the information I know, but I cannot get to the final goal.
By variable changes, k*x -> z, it's easy to get the factor k^{-1-a}, i.e.

l.h.s -> (\int z^a * exp[i*z] * dz) / x^{1+a} -------------------------------------(2)

but the remaining integration seems very difficult.
We know,

\int z^a * exp[-z] * dz \propto Gamma[1+a] --------------------------------------(3)

So, my key question is, how to do integrations in eq(2) whose exponential
argument is imaginary instead negative?

Thanks to everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear colleagues,

Thank you for your question. The Fourier transformation rules for a function can be proven using integration techniques and properties of the Fourier transform. In this case, we can use the following steps to prove the equation given in (1):

1. Start by rewriting the original equation as:

\int k^a * exp[i*k*x] * dk = x^{-1-a} * Gamma[1+a] * sin[a*pi/2] ------------(4)

2. Use the substitution k*x = z, which gives us dk = dz/x and transforms the integral into:

\int z^a * exp[i*z] * dz / x^{1+a} --------------------------------------------(5)

3. To simplify the integral, we can use the property of the Fourier transform that states that:

\int f(x) * exp[i*k*x] * dx = F(k) ---------------------------------------------(6)

where F(k) is the Fourier transform of the function f(x). In this case, we can apply this property to the integral in (5), which gives us:

F(k) = \int z^a * exp[i*z] * dz, where F(k) is the Fourier transform of x^{1+a} ----(7)

4. Now, we can use the inverse Fourier transform to express F(k) in terms of x^{1+a}. The inverse Fourier transform states that:

f(x) = (1/2pi) * \int F(k) * exp[-i*k*x] * dk -------------------------------------(8)

Applying this to (7), we get:

x^{1+a} = (1/2pi) * \int z^a * exp[i*z] * dz * exp[-i*k*x] * dk -------------------(9)

5. Rearranging (9), we get:

\int z^a * exp[i*z] * dz = (2pi) * x^{1+a} * exp[i*k*x] * dk ----------------------(10)

6. Substituting (10) into (5), we get:

\int z^a * exp[i*z] * dz / x^{1+a} = (2pi) * exp[i*k*x] * dk ----------------------(11)

7. Finally, we can use the property of the Fourier transform that states that:

F(k) = \int f(x) * exp[-i*k*x] * dx ------------------------------------------------(12)

What is a propagator in position space?

A propagator in position space is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the probability amplitude for a particle to travel from one position to another at a specific time. It is represented by a function that depends on the positions and times of the particle.

How is a propagator related to the wave function?

The propagator is closely related to the wave function in quantum mechanics. In fact, the propagator can be calculated by taking the inner product of two wave functions at different times using the Dirac notation. The square of the absolute value of the propagator gives the probability of finding the particle at a certain position at a specific time.

What is the difference between a propagator in position space and momentum space?

In position space, the propagator is a function of position and time. In momentum space, the propagator is a function of momentum and time. They represent different ways of describing the same physical system and are related by a mathematical transformation called the Fourier transform.

How are propagators used in practical applications?

Propagators are used in a wide range of practical applications in quantum mechanics, such as calculating transition probabilities, scattering amplitudes, and time evolution of quantum states. They are also used in fields like quantum field theory, quantum chemistry, and condensed matter physics.

What are some properties of propagators in position space?

Some important properties of propagators in position space include causality, which means that the propagator is zero for times before the particle is created or after it is destroyed, and unitarity, which ensures that the total probability of finding the particle at any position at any time is equal to one. Propagators also satisfy certain symmetry properties, such as time-reversal symmetry and translation invariance.