Suggestions for a Physics Textbook on Special & General Relativity

In summary, for a comprehensive textbook on both special and general relativity, some recommended options are "Relativity: The Special and General Theories" by Albert Einstein, "Relativity: An Introduction to Special and General Relativity" by H. Stephani, "Relativity: Special - General - Cosmological" by W. Rindler, "Gravitation and Cosmology" by S. Weinberg, and "The Classical Theory of Fields" by L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz. It is also recommended to check out the Special and General Relativity sub-forum on a physics forum for expert responses.
MatthewNITX
Hey my fellow physics-students/physicists.
I'd like to ask if you guys could suggest me a textbook/s that sufficient for integrated course of "special" and "general relativity".
More precisely, That contain about:
Introduction about the birth of relativity and principle, and the transformation of Galilee.
the basics of the special relativity,
Lorentz transformations and boost groups.
The dynamics of relativity
The space-time theory.
Covariance of dynamics
The electromagnetic theory and it's link with relativity.
The covariance with electromagnetic theory.
The theory of relativity of fields (camps)
And The introductions of general relativity.

Thank you <3

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you will get responses from those much more gifted than I in this field, but I don’t see how you could start without first reading the book from the Master himself, Albert Einstein’s ‘Relativity; The Special and General Theories’.
And check out Robphy’s featured article at the top of this home page. And check out the Special and General Relativity sub-forum on this site, the responders are second to none and a textbook would be secondary to this forum.

Likes MatthewNITX
My two favorites right now:

H. Stephani, Relativity, an introduction to special and general relativity, Cambridge University Press (2004)
W. Rindler, Relativity, special - general - cosmological, Oxford University Press (2006)

Then there are the classics

S. Weinberg, Gravitation and Cosmology, John Wiley (1972)
L. D. Landau, E. M. Lifshitz, The classical theory of fields, Butterworth-Heinemann (1996)

The latter is a textbook which gives a really modern introduction to classical electromagnetism (relativity first without hiding the beauty of this approach under a montain of unnecessary didactics as does Purcell in the Berkeley Physics Course vol. 2) + a straight-to-the point intro to GR with all the necessary tensor calculus needed (but not more ;-)).

1. What is the difference between Special and General Relativity?

Special Relativity deals with the laws of physics in inertial frames of reference, while General Relativity extends these laws to non-inertial frames and includes the effects of gravity.

2. What are some key concepts that should be included in a textbook on Special and General Relativity?

Some key concepts that should be included are the principle of relativity, the equivalence principle, space-time curvature, and the concept of spacetime intervals.

3. How can the complex mathematics of Special and General Relativity be explained in a textbook?

The complex mathematics can be explained by using visual aids, diagrams, and real-world examples to illustrate the concepts. Additionally, breaking down the equations into smaller steps and providing clear explanations can make the math more accessible to readers.

4. How can the historical development of Special and General Relativity be incorporated into a textbook?

The historical development can be incorporated by providing background information on the scientists who contributed to the theories, as well as discussing the experiments and observations that led to the development of Special and General Relativity.

5. How can a textbook on Special and General Relativity cater to students with different levels of understanding?

A textbook can cater to students with different levels of understanding by including introductory chapters that cover the basics and gradually increasing the complexity of the concepts. It can also provide practice problems and additional resources for students who want to delve deeper into the subject.