1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question to engineers

1. Oct 18, 2009 #1
    I am interested in mechatronics or electrical engineering, and I enjoy things such as electronics and programming as a hobby, mechanics as well.

I do however, have some mild essential tremor, which means that my hand trembles slightly when I move it(not parkinson's, this is benign). Although it's completely manageable at 18, I don't know if it'll get worse as I get older.

I am wondering if it would affect my soldering abilities if in the future I do such an engineering field. Mechatronics for example. Does it include very fine motor skills? Do I need ultra-precise hands for such a thing? Do engineers need to demonstrate fine motor skills or is that up to the factory robots...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2009 #2
    well certainly fine motor skills are useful for school, being able to prototype boards. But in the work place you will rarely get your hands dirty with a solder.

There is no reason to not enter in to mechatronics due to jittery hands, Robotics is my absolute favourite subject and I personally wouldn't let something like that get in the way.

but I must say, if you are able to write you will be able to solder what you need to.
    even if you can't you will still be able to do 99% of the work required for your course.

(and you could always develop a robotic hand with a motion filter to eliminate your jitter.) truthfully they already have... they use them for very precise surgery.

4. Oct 18, 2009 #3
    oops double post

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook