1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question

1. Mar 8, 2004 #1
    A question ....

Let suppose we have a function f(x) so

Int(0.infinite)f(x)dx=N N finite number then my question is ..would be this f(x) a L^2(0,infinite) function so

Int(0,infinite)[f(x)]^2dx is convergent?..thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, I think so.

If the infinite integral exists, then except on a set of measure zero it must be that f tends to zero, so pick T such that |f| is less than 1 for almost all x greater than T and the answer becomes clear.

4. Mar 8, 2004 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Am I misreading this? The question asserts that the integral of f from 0 to infinity exists and asks if it follows that the integral of f2 exists. I don't see how that implies that, except on a measure 0, f "tends" to 0. (In fact, I don't see what "tends" to means. At each point f is either 0 or it is not!)

What about f(x)= x-1/2 for 0< x< 1 and f(x)= 0 for x>=1.

The integral from 0 to infinity is 2, a finite number but
    f2= 1/x for 0< x< 1, 0 for x>=1 which cannot be integrated from 0 to 1.

5. Mar 8, 2004 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OK, am wrong - i was thinking of the problems of the wrong kind in the integral (an infinitely long bit such as the tail of 1/x rather than singular values). I wasn't particularly happy with it there either. I was thinking of bounded functions on R.

Tends to (in this strange sense) means that for all epsilon, there exists and R such that |f|<epsilon for all x>R except for a subset of zero measure. Ie tends to in the usual sense except that there may be a measure zero set on which there are arbitrary values, such as sin(x)/x for x not in Z and 1 for x in Z.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?