Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question

1. Nov 24, 2004 #1
    I have a serious problem with understanding the definition of limits.

Prove that Lim(x->7) Sqrt(16-x)=3

I'd be grateful if you could explain why you do each step when you solve this question. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2004 #2
  4. Nov 24, 2004 #3
    Another question:

If, say, Lim(x->a) f(x) = infinity (when you approach from both sides), we call the point x=a as a removable discontinuity. Why? How can we remove it? If the limit approached to a value such as c, then we could define the function to be f(a) = c
    Now, when it approaches infinity, we still call it removable discontinuity but it can't be removed by assigning a value!

5. Nov 24, 2004 #4
    I meant to prove it by using the delta-epsilon relation. Substitution doesn't prove anything, of course. But I don't really understand HOW the delta-epsilon relation does.

6. Nov 25, 2004 #5
    Please reply! I have a midterm on saturday.

7. Nov 26, 2004 #6
    Many other PF members are much better qualified to answer this than I am. AFAIK, delta-epsilon relations are used to define continuity, not really to explain limits.

8. Nov 27, 2004 #7

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Who called such a discontinuity removable? You might want to check your definitions carefully. If a one sided limit "equals" infinity most definitions will say the limit does not exist (this isn't "equal" in the usual sense, it's really a way of keeping track of how the limit diverges). This goes for two sided limits as well-even if the left and right handed limits are both infinity, most definitions will say the limit does not exist.

Sirus, epsilon-delta's are very much a part of the rigorous definition of limits.

9. Nov 27, 2004 #8
    First you need to know the exact interpretation if LIMIT CONCEPT.Perhaps a knowledge of Analytic function and residue theorem can help you.
    Take for instance,a point in a number line can be approached from different directions(ideally infinity),ie,through X axis or through y axis or even in an oblique axis.Limit of a function accentuates upon the point that no matter whatever direction we take to approach a value,the vlaue of the fuction at that partiicular point is the result that you get(in your case it is 3).This is what limit of a function denotes.Thats why when we take Z transform we rely upon jordn contour and the region of convergence is taken as the distance between two poles along the path of traversal.

Regards
    drdolittle

10. Nov 29, 2004 #9

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

is it too late to be of help? i know your test is over but is there another one later? the answers so far are not much to the point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?