Solving Limits: Proving x→7 Sqrt(16-x)=3

• Thread starter bezgin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of limits and how to prove the limit of a function using the delta-epsilon relation. It also touches on the concept of removable discontinuity and the use of analytic functions and residue theorem in approaching a value from different directions. The main point is that the limit of a function represents the value of the function at a specific point, regardless of the direction of approach.
bezgin
I have a serious problem with understanding the definition of limits.

Prove that Lim(x->7) Sqrt(16-x)=3

I'd be grateful if you could explain why you do each step when you solve this question. Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Another question:

If, say, Lim(x->a) f(x) = infinity (when you approach from both sides), we call the point x=a as a removable discontinuity. Why? How can we remove it? If the limit approached to a value such as c, then we could define the function to be f(a) = c
Now, when it approaches infinity, we still call it removable discontinuity but it can't be removed by assigning a value!

Sirus said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limit_of_a_function

By substituting x=7 into [itex]f(x)=\sqrt{16-x}[/itex], we find that when x approaches 7, f(x) approaches 3.

I meant to prove it by using the delta-epsilon relation. Substitution doesn't prove anything, of course. But I don't really understand HOW the delta-epsilon relation does.

Please reply! I have a midterm on saturday.

Many other PF members are much better qualified to answer this than I am. AFAIK, delta-epsilon relations are used to define continuity, not really to explain limits.

bezgin said:
If, say, Lim(x->a) f(x) = infinity (when you approach from both sides), we call the point x=a as a removable discontinuity.

Who called such a discontinuity removable? You might want to check your definitions carefully. If a one sided limit "equals" infinity most definitions will say the limit does not exist (this isn't "equal" in the usual sense, it's really a way of keeping track of how the limit diverges). This goes for two sided limits as well-even if the left and right handed limits are both infinity, most definitions will say the limit does not exist.

Sirus, epsilon-delta's are very much a part of the rigorous definition of limits.

First you need to know the exact interpretation if LIMIT CONCEPT.Perhaps a knowledge of Analytic function and residue theorem can help you.
Take for instance,a point in a number line can be approached from different directions(ideally infinity),ie,through X axis or through y-axis or even in an oblique axis.Limit of a function accentuates upon the point that no matter whatever direction we take to approach a value,the vlaue of the fuction at that partiicular point is the result that you get(in your case it is 3).This is what limit of a function denotes.Thats why when we take Z transform we rely upon jordn contour and the region of convergence is taken as the distance between two poles along the path of traversal.

Regards
drdolittle

is it too late to be of help? i know your test is over but is there another one later? the answers so far are not much to the point.

1. What is a limit?

A limit is the value that a function approaches as the input (x) approaches a certain value. In other words, it is the value that the function is getting closer and closer to as x gets closer to a specific number.

2. How do you prove a limit?

To prove a limit, you need to show that as x approaches the given value, the function also approaches the given value. This can be done through various methods such as substitution, algebraic manipulation, and epsilon-delta proofs.

3. What is the process for solving a limit?

The process for solving a limit involves plugging in the given value for x and simplifying the function until you can determine the limit. This may involve factoring, rationalizing, or using other algebraic techniques.

4. How do you prove x→7 Sqrt(16-x)=3?

To prove this limit, we can use substitution and algebraic manipulation. First, we can substitute 7 for x in the function and simplify to get the value of 3. This shows that as x approaches 7, the function also approaches 3, proving the limit.

5. Can limits exist at a point where the function is undefined?

No, limits cannot exist at points where the function is undefined. A limit can only exist if the function is defined and approaches a specific value as the input approaches a certain number. If the function is undefined at that point, then the limit does not exist.