Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question

1. Oct 11, 2003 #1
    i always have asked myself this question ..Feynmann and others got the nobel prize for quantizaying the electromagnetism..i have read about it and it seems it was a difficult task..but why not try this way .take the lagrangian of electromagnetism and take the hamiltonian to be H=E+B now we now E=-dA/dt and B=rotA so we could quantizy the hamiltonian and get the wave functional F(A) with
    HF(A)=EF(A) what is easier...then why use renormaliztion and all that?..in electromagnetism can the Hamiltonian description presented above describe quantum electormagnetism?..then why qed?..

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2003 #2
    Hi eljose79
    Because "this way" explains nothing. Just try to calculate the anomalous magnetic moment of electron by "this way"... of course you can't...

4. Oct 12, 2003 #3

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

In fact the Lagrangean for QED consists of the sum of the Dirac Lagrangean, the Maxwell Lagrangean, and an interaction term. The quantization of this was highly nontrivial, and you can read about the struggles of the people involved in Schweber's fine history "QED and the Men who Made it".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?