Duck in Cold Conditions: Carbohydrates & Energy

• Thread starter dude_007
  • Start date
In summary, the duck uses its carbohydrate stores faster in cold conditions because the carbohdrats are easier to break down.
dude_007
also in freezing condictions why can a duck use its carbohydrate stored supply faster in cold condictions? Is it because its the carbohdrats are easier to break down in cold condictions?

Biology news on Phys.org
Is this for a homework assignment? If so, can you double check very carefully the wording of the question? I see two ways to interpret the question, one of which isn't making a lot of sense to me (although it could be possible...I'd have to look into it), so I'd like to be sure whether you're paraphrasing, which might be adding some confusion that we don't need to worry about here, or if you're asking the actual question as asked.

Also, what unit/chapter are you currently studying? That will help us to know a bit better what the intent of the question is.

If it's not homework, could you elaborate on what made you think of this question? Then I can understand better how to work toward an answer with you.

a really really really simple answer would be that the duck needs to break down more sugar to get ATP for the cells, cause well it's cold.

Like moonbear said, you need to tell us what you are studying? what class is this? There are plenty of complex answers.

sssddd, I know you're new here, so for future reference, we try not to give quick answers to homework questions...the idea is for the students here to learn, so we help, but don't do the work for them (this is also why I'm trying to find out if this IS a homework question...if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck... :tongue2:)

this is just a randmom exam paper question

yeah the wording (expect spelling mistakes) is correct.

studying respiration at the moment

is it by n e chance the bonds in the sugar are weaker at lower temp>?

dude_007 said:
this is just a randmom exam paper question

yeah the wording (expect spelling mistakes) is correct.

studying respiration at the moment

is it by n e chance the bonds in the sugar are weaker at lower temp>?

Is there a first part to the question? It sounds like there was a part 1 to go with this as a part 2.

The reason it's not making a lot of sense to me is that the duck shouldn't be a lower temperature (homeostatic mechanisms should be maintaining the duck's body temperature near a fairly constant set-point regardless of the temperature), so in trying to help you, I'm trying to figure out if your question is really just asking, "Why does a duck use its carbohydrate supply faster when the temperature is cold," in terms of mobilization of energy to meet energy demands of cold temperatures, or if it's trying to ask what your answers are going after, which is does cold temperature affect the rate of carbohydrate catabolism.

I'm leaning toward interpreting it as the first question, in which case I think you're over-thinking the answer, or missing the point of the question by answering the second way. I don't think there's any reason to think that colder temperatures would make it easier to use stored reserves, but more that it requires the use of stored reserves, and the question you need to answer is why does it require it, and by what process does that occur.

I hope I haven't made this even more confusing. This is just the sort of vague question that could be answered in different ways depending on the emphasis of the course you're taking (if you really did copy it word-for-word other than spelling errors, then it's a poorly written question, in my opinion).

On second thought, let's take a different approach to this.
What is the process that mobilizes carbohydrate stores and converts them to energy? Where does this happen? (i.e., Which is the primary organ and what part of the cells of that organ are involved?)

I have to guess what you've covered in class so far, so we'll just have to do a little back-and-forth dialog to establish your knowledge base and build up from there. If it's a question from an old exam, you might be just covering different material than was included in the past.

What is the purpose of studying ducks in cold conditions?

The purpose of studying ducks in cold conditions is to understand how they adapt and survive in extreme environments. This information can also be applied to other species and help inform conservation efforts.

How do carbohydrates play a role in a duck's energy during cold conditions?

Carbohydrates are the main source of energy for ducks in cold conditions. They are broken down into glucose, which is then used to fuel the duck's metabolism and maintain body temperature.

Do ducks require a higher intake of carbohydrates in cold conditions?

Yes, ducks do require a higher intake of carbohydrates in cold conditions. This is because their metabolism increases to maintain body temperature, and they need more energy to sustain this higher rate.

What types of carbohydrates do ducks typically consume in cold conditions?

Ducks typically consume complex carbohydrates, such as grains and seeds, in cold conditions. These provide sustained energy and are more easily digested than simple carbohydrates.

What happens if a duck does not have enough carbohydrates in cold conditions?

If a duck does not have enough carbohydrates in cold conditions, it may experience a decrease in body temperature, which can lead to hypothermia and ultimately death. It may also have lower energy levels and struggle to maintain its normal activities and behaviors.