Calculate PPM of Fluoride: NaF Solution

• Thread starter Bonesmasher
  • Start date
In summary, to calculate the PPM of *Fluoride* in a standard solution of NaF (dissolved in solution), you need to use the formula PPM = Mol/L * g/mol * 1000. By using the equations c=n/V and n=m/M, you can calculate the concentration of NaF in the solution to be 0.1M. However, to find the PPM of Fluoride, you need to use the molecular weight of F instead of NaF. This will give you a PPM of 4213.59. If you need to dilute the solution, dividing the PPM by the dilution factor is not accurate, as PPM is related to the volume
Bonesmasher

Homework Statement

Calculate PPM of *Fluoride* in standard solution. NaF (dissolved in solution) = 1.0534g in 0.250L distilled water.

Homework Equations

PPM = Mol/L * g/mol * 1000
c=n/V
n=m/M

The Attempt at a Solution

C=n/V, n = m/M

n = 1.0534/41.99 = 0.02509
c = n/V = 0.02509/0.250 = 0.1M

PPM = 0.1M * 41.99g/mol * 1000 = 4213.59PPM

BUT! Sure that's the PPM of NaF in the solution, but to get the PPM of FLUORIDE do I need to divide it by 2? (NaF, 1:1 ratio) or do I use the mW of F in the PPM equation? (19 instead of 41.99)?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dividing by two doesn't make sense - 0.1M solution of NaF is 0.1M in both Na+ and F-.

Oh right! So the PPM of Fluoride still will be 4213.59?

So it's like saying out of 50 cars you'll still only have 50 steering wheels?

Do my calculations look ok?

Thanks!

Bonesmasher said:
Oh right! So the PPM of Fluoride still will be 4213.59?

No. ppm is mass per mass and mass of F- is different from mass of NaF.

So it's like saying out of 50 cars you'll still only have 50 steering wheels?

Yes, but it all depends on the question asked. If you are asked - how many steering wheels in 50 cars, there is 1 steering wheel in each car, so there are 50 steering wheels. But if you are asked - what part of the mass of 50 cars are their steering wheels - you can't say half of the mass of the cars (even if there are 50 cars and 50 steering wheels), because steering wheel is much lighter than the car. Same with NaF - 50 atoms of F per 50 molecules of NaF, but F is not half of the mass.

Ah yeah I get what you mean. The question is asking to calculate the concentration of Fluoride in mg/L (PPM).

I'm guessing this would lean to where the steering wheels mass is much less than the cars mass? So I need to use 19 (MW of F-) in the PPM equation?

Since it's a 0.1M conc. of NaF (essentially 0.1M conc. of F also)?

Looks like you got it :smile:

Thanks!

Just another thing, the answer came to be 1900ppm in 0.250L. I had to dilute it so that I took 0.01L from that solution and made it up to 0.1L. To find the ppm of the diluted solution is it as simple as dividing the ppm by 25? Because I took 1/25 of the solution?

I'm not sure since PPM is mg/L, so it must be related to the volume somehow.

Dividing 0.1M by 25 brings me to 0.004M and putting this into the PPM equation gives me 76ppm.

Last edited:
Bonesmasher said:
Just another thing, the answer came to be 1900ppm in 0.250L. I had to dilute it so that I took 0.01L from that solution and made it up to 0.1L. To find the ppm of the diluted solution is it as simple as dividing the ppm by 25? Because I took 1/25 of the solution?

No. But you already know that.

Lol thanks Borek :embarrassed:

1. How do you calculate the PPM of fluoride in a NaF solution?

To calculate the PPM (parts per million) of fluoride in a NaF (sodium fluoride) solution, you will need to know the mass of NaF in the solution and the total volume of the solution. Then, you can use the formula: PPM = (mass of NaF / total volume of solution) x 1,000,000.

2. What is the purpose of calculating PPM of fluoride in a NaF solution?

The PPM of fluoride in a NaF solution is important to know because it determines the concentration of fluoride in the solution. This is crucial for various applications, such as in water treatment, dental products, and industrial processes.

3. What is the difference between PPM and percentage (%) of fluoride in a NaF solution?

PPM and percentage (%) are two different ways to express the concentration of fluoride in a NaF solution. PPM is a unit of measurement that represents the number of parts of fluoride per million parts of the solution, while percentage (%) represents the amount of fluoride in relation to the entire solution. For example, a solution with 100 PPM of fluoride has 0.01% fluoride.

4. Is there a maximum safe limit for PPM of fluoride in a NaF solution?

Yes, there is a recommended maximum safe limit for PPM of fluoride in drinking water, which is 4 PPM according to the World Health Organization. However, the exact safe limit may vary depending on the purpose of the solution and the individual's age and health. It is important to consult with a professional to determine the appropriate PPM for a specific application.

5. How can I measure the PPM of fluoride in a NaF solution?

There are various methods to measure the PPM of fluoride in a NaF solution, such as using a fluoride ion-selective electrode or a spectrophotometer. These methods involve taking a small sample of the solution and using a chemical reaction or light absorption to determine the concentration of fluoride. It is important to follow proper procedures and calibrate the equipment for accurate measurements.