A quick question about scalar product of vectors

In summary, the individual is struggling with finding the scalar product of two vectors, B and C, but is unsure of where the numbers 2 and 3 come into play. They have tried multiplying C by 3 and then finding the scalar product, but this was incorrect. After some discussion and calculations, it is determined that the correct answer is 30.
TA1068
Attached is a .jpg of my problem.

I know how to find the scalar product of B*C (I think... 5, right?), but I don't really know where the 2 and 3 come into play. I've tried multiplying the values of C by 3 and then finding the scalar product, then multiplying the quantity by two, but that was incorrect.

I couldn't find it in my physics text. I guess it's probably something I should know, but I don't, so that's why I'm here! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Vector Q.jpg
    Vector Q.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 451
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your attachment couldn't be displayed. Try something else.

Oops! Here it is:

img87.imageshack.us/img87/2452/vectorqqp8.jpg

TA1068 said:
I know how to find the scalar product of B*C (I think... 5, right?), but I don't really know where the 2 and 3 come into play. I've tried multiplying the values of C by 3 and then finding the scalar product, then multiplying the quantity by two, but that was incorrect.

Well this was correct. Unless you made a mistake in carrying out the calculations ...
Remember when you multiply the vector C by the number 3 you have to multiply each component of C by this number 3, giving you

3C = 3(-1,-1,2)=(-3,-3,6)

I suggest double-checking your calculations and if this doesn't help...show us what you have done and we can most likely find your mistake.:smile:

For the scalar product of B and C, five is correct.

B.C = (-3,0,1).(-1,-1,2)=3+0+2=5, well done.

So for my work...

B = (-3, 0, 1) and
C = (-3, -3, 6)

So... 9 + 0 + 6 = 15
15 * 2 = 30

...I could have sworn that's what I was doing all along, but for some reason I kept getting 60 for my answer. Hmm.

Anyways, thanks greatly for any and all help!

So are you content with 30 now? It seems corect to me.

1. What is the definition of scalar product of vectors?

The scalar product of two vectors is a mathematical operation that results in a single scalar value. It is also known as dot product and is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the vectors and the cosine of the angle between them.

2. How is the scalar product of vectors calculated?

The scalar product of two vectors, A and B, can be calculated using the formula: A · B = |A| * |B| * cosθ, where |A| and |B| are the magnitudes of the vectors and θ is the angle between them.

3. What is the significance of the scalar product of vectors?

The scalar product of vectors is used to determine the angle between two vectors, the projection of one vector onto another, and the work done by a force in a particular direction. It also plays a crucial role in vector calculus and physics.

4. Can the scalar product of vectors be negative?

Yes, the scalar product of two vectors can be negative. This indicates that the angle between the vectors is obtuse (greater than 90 degrees).

5. What is the difference between scalar product and vector product?

The scalar product of vectors results in a scalar quantity, while the vector product (also known as cross product) results in a vector quantity. Additionally, the scalar product is commutative (A · B = B · A), while the vector product is anti-commutative (A x B = -B x A).