How Do You Expand General Summation Formulas?

• Thread starter psycho2499
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the expansion of a summation into a form, specifically \sum_{k=1}^{n}(22). The speaker mentions struggling to remember the expansion form for any type of summation except when it has a defined upper bound of n and lower bound of 1. There is a brief confusion about whether the upper bound is n or 2^n, with the correct answer being n*2^n or 2^k for a finite geometric sum. The conversation concludes with the speaker apologizing for being distracted and the other person clarifying that it is a finite geometric sum. The conversation references the concept of geometric progression and a Wikipedia article for further information.
psycho2499
I can never remember how to expand a summation into form: [tex]\sum[/tex]nk=1(22). Thats just a recent example. I can't remember the expansion form any sort of summation really except when it has a defined upper bound.

Physics news on Phys.org
The upper bound is n and the lower bound is 1 isn't it? Looks to me like 4*n.

sorry i meant to say 2^n for the eq.

Then isn't it n*2^n, or did you mean 2^k? Then it's just a finite geometric sum.

this is what i get for only half paying attention to what i type. damn finals. 2^k, Sorry bout that

1. What is a summation?

A summation is a mathematical operation that involves adding a sequence of numbers together. It is represented by the symbol Σ (sigma) and is commonly used in various mathematical and scientific calculations.

2. How do I perform a summation?

To perform a summation, you need to first determine the sequence of numbers that you want to add together. Then, you can use the formula Σn = a + (a+1) + (a+2) + ... + (b-1) + b, where n is the number of terms in the sequence, a is the starting number, and b is the ending number.

3. What is the purpose of using summations?

Summations are often used to simplify complex mathematical expressions and to calculate the total value of a sequence of numbers. They also have various applications in statistics, calculus, and other branches of mathematics.

4. Can summations be used for infinite sequences?

Yes, summations can be used for infinite sequences, but only if the sequence follows a specific pattern or has a known formula. Otherwise, it is not possible to determine the exact value of an infinite summation.

5. Are there any rules or properties for summations?

Yes, there are several rules and properties for summations, including the commutative and associative properties, as well as the distributive property. These rules can help simplify and solve more complex summations.