1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A quick question

1. Nov 27, 2006 #1
    If [H,T] = 0 (where H is the Hamiltonian and T is the (antiunitary) time-reversal operator) prove that T is NOT conserved

This is for a homework assignment due is less than 12 hours....

I'm guessing it has to with the property of antiunitary operators: T|a> = |a'> then <a|b> = <a'|b'>* but it's late and I'm lazy

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2006 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What does it mean that an operator is conserved ?

Daniel.

4. Nov 27, 2006 #3
    Usually, it means that the operator is constant, in the Heisenberg picture, which means that [H,A]=0 but that isn't true when A is anti-linear

5. Nov 27, 2006 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And what does "conserved" mean for an antilinear operator ?

If you don't know that, you can't solve it.

Daniel.

6. Nov 27, 2006 #5
    The best I can come up with is to look at the expectation value of T in an arbitrary state: <Psi(t)|T|Psi(t)> = <Psi(0)|(exp(iHt/h))T(exp(-iHt/h))|Psi(0)> = <Psi(0)|(exp(2*iHt/h))T|Psi(0)> = <Psi(-2t)|T|Psi(0)> = <Psi(0)|T|Psi(2t)>

which clearly isn't constant, but it also isn't very satisfying......

7. Nov 27, 2006 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't seem to get the line of thought in your calculations. Could you care to explain how did you get from

[tex] \langle \Psi(0)|\mbox{(exp(iHt/h))}T\mbox{(exp(-iHt/h))}|\Psi(0)\rangle [/tex]

to

[tex] \langle \Psi(0)|\mbox{(exp(2*iHt/h))}T|\Psi(0) \rangle [/tex]

Daniel.

8. Nov 27, 2006 #7
    Well, basically, since T is antilinear, TiH = -iTH. But T commutes with H, so TiH = -iHT.

edit: To elaborate, because TiH = -iHT, it follows that T(exp(-iHt/h)) = (exp(iHt/h))T since the exponential is a series in powers of H. When moving T to the right of H, the coefficient of each term in the series must be replaced with its complex conjugate

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  9. Nov 27, 2006 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, i can see now. One thing to notice is the improper use of Dirac's bra-ket formalism for T, since this operator is not self adjoint.
    Thus the last equality does not follow. You managed to find (neglecting the last equality) that

[tex] \langle \psi (t), \psi(t) \rangle \neq \langle \psi (0), \psi (0) \rangle [/tex]

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?