A quintessentially New York sculpture

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the work of Brooklyn sculptor Tom Otterness, specifically his display on Broadway and a recent shot taken by one of the participants at a park in Brooklyn. The focus is on Otterness' whimsical depiction of money and "money-bags," with a mention of his other works and an encouragement to look up his name on Google for more images.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
10nytnow-art-master675.jpg

10nytnow-arts2-articleLarge.jpg

Oy or Yo? Sculpture With Something to Say Lands at Brooklyn Bridge (New York Times)

Likes DrClaude
Science news on Phys.org
Brooklyn sculptor Tom Otterness had a major display all up and down Broadway several years ago and I really loved his work. I walked several miles of it (they were only occasional along the street) taking pictures. A few weeks ago I was visiting my son in Brooklyn and he took me to a park near where he is working and I got this shot.

Otterness is marvelously whimsical in his depiction of money and "money-bags".

Some of his other stuff is better than this one, but this is my most recent view of his work, so here it is.

I encourage those of you not familiar with his work to Google his name and click on "images"

Tom Otterness.jpg

EDIT: OOPS ... jtbell, I somehow thought this was one of those photo contest threads. Didn't mean to hijack your thread. Maybe my having done so will encourage others to post NY sculptures.

Last edited:
Likes jtbell and Silicon Waffle
If it's in New York, it's fine with me! Next year I'll probably visit NY for the first time in about thirty years (as opposed to just "passing through" on the way to somewhere else), so I'm starting to keep an eye out for things to look for.

1. What is the "A quintessentially New York sculpture"?

"A quintessentially New York sculpture" refers to a specific sculpture or artwork that is representative of the culture, history, and essence of New York City.

2. Who created the "A quintessentially New York sculpture"?

The creator of "A quintessentially New York sculpture" can vary, as there are many artists and sculptors who have created works that could be considered quintessentially New York. Some notable artists include Keith Haring, Jean-Michel Basquiat, and Jeff Koons.

3. What is the significance of "A quintessentially New York sculpture"?

The significance of "A quintessentially New York sculpture" lies in its representation of the city's unique identity and cultural history. It can serve as a symbol of New York's diversity, creativity, and resilience.

4. Where can "A quintessentially New York sculpture" be found?

"A quintessentially New York sculpture" can be found throughout the city, in public spaces, museums, and galleries. Some notable locations include Central Park, Rockefeller Center, and the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

5. How does "A quintessentially New York sculpture" contribute to the city's tourism?

"A quintessentially New York sculpture" can attract tourists who are interested in experiencing the city's art and cultural scene. It can also serve as a popular photo spot and enhance the overall aesthetic of the city, making it a memorable destination for visitors.