1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A quiz qusetion

1. Oct 30, 2003 #1
    The question is an 8.00 kg block (A) resting on a horizonal surface is attached to a 5.00kg block (B) that hangs freely by a string over a pulley. The coefficient of friction for block(A) is .200
    a) calculate the acceleration of the system?
    b) how long does it take the blocks to move 20 meters?

I drew a picture adn this is what i have using the formula for accel.
    A = M2g-Mk*M1g/M1+M2 which gave me 5 (9.80)-.200*(8)*(9.80)/ 5+8 = 2.56 m/s^2

that was all i was able to get was i right so far and could help me on finding where i went wrong on this problem

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2003 #2

jamesrc

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What you did is correct (though you should be more careful with your parenthesis for the sake of those of us reading your post). To find the answer to part b, use your equations for constant acceleration motion. I would assume this system starts at rest, so s - so = vo*t + .5*a*t^2 would be the way to go, with vo = 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?