Solving the 8kg-5kg Pulley System: Calculating Acceleration & Time

In summary, a 8.00 kg block (A) is attached to a 5.00 kg block (B) that hangs freely, with a coefficient of friction of .200. The acceleration of the system can be calculated using the formula A = M2g-Mk*M1g/M1+M2, which gives a value of 2.56 m/s^2. To determine the time it takes for the blocks to move 20 meters, the equation s - so = vo*t + .5*a*t^2 can be used, assuming the system starts at rest.
cowgiljl
The question is an 8.00 kg block (A) resting on a horizonal surface is attached to a 5.00kg block (B) that hangs freely by a string over a pulley. The coefficient of friction for block(A) is .200
a) calculate the acceleration of the system?
b) how long does it take the blocks to move 20 meters?

I drew a picture adn this is what i have using the formula for accel.
A = M2g-Mk*M1g/M1+M2 which gave me 5 (9.80)-.200*(8)*(9.80)/ 5+8 = 2.56 m/s^2

that was all i was able to get was i right so far and could help me on finding where i went wrong on this problem

Physics news on Phys.org
What you did is correct (though you should be more careful with your parenthesis for the sake of those of us reading your post). To find the answer to part b, use your equations for constant acceleration motion. I would assume this system starts at rest, so s - so = vo*t + .5*a*t^2 would be the way to go, with vo = 0.

Great job on setting up the problem and using the correct formula for acceleration! Your answer of 2.56 m/s^2 looks correct. To double check, we can also use Newton's Second Law (F=ma) to solve for acceleration. In this case, the net force acting on the system is the weight of the hanging block (5kg * 9.8m/s^2) minus the friction force (0.2 * 8kg * 9.8m/s^2). This gives us a net force of 39.2 N. Plugging this into F=ma, we get a = 39.2 N / 13 kg = 3.01 m/s^2, which is very close to your answer of 2.56 m/s^2.

To find the time it takes for the blocks to move 20 meters, we can use the kinematic equation d=1/2at^2, where d is the distance, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. Plugging in the values we know, we get 20m = 1/2 * 2.56 m/s^2 * t^2. Solving for t, we get t = 3.16 seconds. So it would take approximately 3.16 seconds for the blocks to move 20 meters.

Great work on this problem! Keep practicing and you'll become a pro at solving pulley systems in no time.

1. What is the formula for calculating acceleration in a pulley system?

The formula for calculating acceleration in a pulley system is acceleration = (m1 - m2) * g / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses on either side of the pulley and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How do I determine the direction of acceleration in a pulley system?

The direction of acceleration in a pulley system is determined by the difference in masses on either side of the pulley. The side with the greater mass will experience a downward acceleration, while the side with the smaller mass will experience an upward acceleration.

3. Can I use the same formula for calculating acceleration if there are more than two masses in the pulley system?

No, the formula for calculating acceleration in a pulley system is only applicable when there are two masses involved. If there are more than two masses, the system becomes more complex and requires a different set of equations to solve.

4. How do I calculate the time it takes for an 8kg-5kg pulley system to reach a certain velocity?

To calculate the time it takes for a pulley system to reach a certain velocity, you can use the formula time = (2 * displacement) / (initial velocity + final velocity). The displacement can be calculated by multiplying the acceleration by the square of the time.

5. Are there any real-world applications of solving pulley systems?

Yes, pulley systems are commonly used in various industries such as construction, transportation, and manufacturing. They are used to lift heavy objects, move materials from one location to another, and provide mechanical advantage in various tasks. Understanding how to solve pulley systems is important in designing and optimizing these systems for efficiency and safety.