1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Quotation Again

1. Dec 9, 2009 #1
    Carl Friedrich Gauss is known as the "prince of mathematicians" in mathematics literature. But I think something is not right with this quotation from him.
    "Mathematics is the Queen of the Sciences".

Is maths gender female?
    Is maths a science?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In some languages (and Gauss spoke all of them, they say), nouns are in fact associated with a gender. In french for instance, "Science" is "feminine".
  4. Dec 10, 2009 #3

Science Advisor

And saying that "Mathematics is the Queen of Sciences" does not necessarily mean mathematics is itself a science! It is not at all uncommon for the queen, or even king, of a country to be from another country.
  5. Dec 10, 2009 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It may also be a word by word translation from German where both <mathematics> and <queen> are feminine when it comes to noun's gender.
  6. Dec 10, 2009 #5
    Yeah, probably a language thing as far as the gender goes. i.e. In Spanish, Mathematics is "La Matematica". 'La' implies feminine.
  7. Dec 10, 2009 #6
    In my language (Malay) we usually don't give a gender for non human subject. So when I saw the word by word translation of that quotation, I was wondering why the word 'queen' is there. But it seem not a problem in other languages.

My understanding from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics" [Broken], what Gauss meant by 'science' here is knowledge not the usual science that we know. Can I just interprete what Gauss said as "Mathematics is the pinnacle of knowledge" or something simailar (please do correct me) so that I can translate the quotation correctly to my language.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  8. Dec 10, 2009 #7
    Rather than that, you should ask yourself why they call the "prince of mathematics". In my opinion, he is largely overrated. He might have been a mathematician of the first rank, but with his reluctance to publish he did not serve the cause as much as other mathematicians did. I suspect his so called greatness to be some kind of Anglo-German exaggeration, but that's another story.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook