Is Carl Friedrich Gauss Really the Prince of Mathematicians?

• Thread starter matematikawan
  • Start date
In summary, Carl Friedrich Gauss is known as the "prince of mathematicians" but there may be something incorrect with this title. While some languages assign genders to nouns, this does not necessarily reflect the nature of the subject. In Gauss's statement that "Mathematics is the Queen of Sciences", he may have been referring to the idea that mathematics is the pinnacle of knowledge rather than a scientific discipline. Some may argue that Gauss is overrated as a mathematician due to his reluctance to publish his work, but this is a topic for debate.
matematikawan
Carl Friedrich Gauss is known as the "prince of mathematicians" in mathematics literature. But I think something is not right with this quotation from him.
"Mathematics is the Queen of the Sciences".

Is maths gender female?
Is maths a science?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In some languages (and Gauss spoke all of them, they say), nouns are in fact associated with a gender. In french for instance, "Science" is "feminine".

And saying that "Mathematics is the Queen of Sciences" does not necessarily mean mathematics is itself a science! It is not at all uncommon for the queen, or even king, of a country to be from another country.

It may also be a word by word translation from German where both <mathematics> and <queen> are feminine when it comes to noun's gender.

Yeah, probably a language thing as far as the gender goes. i.e. In Spanish, Mathematics is "La Matematica". 'La' implies feminine.

In my language (Malay) we usually don't give a gender for non human subject. So when I saw the word by word translation of that quotation, I was wondering why the word 'queen' is there. But it seem not a problem in other languages.

My understanding from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics" , what Gauss meant by 'science' here is knowledge not the usual science that we know. Can I just interprete what Gauss said as "Mathematics is the pinnacle of knowledge" or something simailar (please do correct me) so that I can translate the quotation correctly to my language.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rather than that, you should ask yourself why they call the "prince of mathematics". In my opinion, he is largely overrated. He might have been a mathematician of the first rank, but with his reluctance to publish he did not serve the cause as much as other mathematicians did. I suspect his so called greatness to be some kind of Anglo-German exaggeration, but that's another story.

1. What is "A Quotation Again"?

"A Quotation Again" is a phrase that is commonly used to indicate that a particular statement or quote has been repeated or referenced multiple times.

2. Why is "A Quotation Again" significant in scientific literature?

In scientific literature, "A Quotation Again" is often used to emphasize the importance of a particular concept or finding. It can also be used to show the evolution of ideas and how they have been referenced and built upon by other scientists.

3. Can "A Quotation Again" be used in place of original research?

No, "A Quotation Again" should not be used as a substitute for original research. It is important for scientists to conduct their own studies and experiments to contribute to the advancement of knowledge in their field.

4. How should "A Quotation Again" be formatted in scientific writing?

In scientific writing, "A Quotation Again" should be placed in quotation marks and properly cited using the appropriate citation style (e.g. APA, MLA). It is important to accurately attribute the quote to its original source.

5. Is it necessary to use "A Quotation Again" when referencing a previous study or idea?

It is not always necessary to use "A Quotation Again" when referencing a previous study or idea. It is generally used when the same quote or idea is being referenced multiple times within a single piece of literature. However, it is always important to properly cite any sources that are being referenced.