Can the du's be cancelled out in the derivative (dy/dx)?

• Thread starter wajed
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker cautions against cancelling out the du's in the equation (dy/dx) = (dy/du)(du/dx) because even though it may resemble an algebraic identity, it is not a legitimate practice. They explain that the derivatives dy/dx and du/dx are not the same as quotients, and separating them out can lead to incorrect information. The speaker also reminds the listener that the chain rule is a legitimate identity, but it should not be thought of as a quotient.
wajed
"
(dy/dx) = (dy/du)(du/dx)

Caution: Notice that if (dy/du) and (du/dx) were quotients rather than expressions for derivatives, we could cancel the du`s and make (5) into an identity. But we stree that du has not been defined as an entity, and consequently it is not legitimate to cancel the du`s. Nonetheless, the resemblance between (5) and an algebraic identity makes it easy to remember.
"

so, he`s saying that I can`t cancel out the du`s, because they are not quotients, but expressions for derivative..
but I think that they can be canceled out!? is that true?
and yes they are expressions for derivative, but also they are quotients..
and I understand that we need them, and it would be meaningless to cancel them..
its just that I think he`s giving me wrong information when he said that I "can`t cancel them out" because "they are expressions for derivatives"

Am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's the chain rule. It is a legitimate identity, but it is not quite as immediately obvious as some may think.

You should not think of them as quotients.

The derivative dy/dx is the limit of quotients. That is *not* the same thing as being a quotient. In some cases identities can be remembered because things cancel as if it were legitimate to separate the dy and dx. You should *not* think that you can separate them out at this stage.

1. What is the purpose of using a quotation followed by a question?

The purpose of using a quotation followed by a question is to engage the reader and prompt them to think critically about the topic being discussed. It can also be used to introduce a new perspective or idea.

2. How do you properly format a quotation then a question?

A quotation followed by a question should be formatted by first including the quotation, using quotation marks, and then ending with a question mark. For example: "To be or not to be?"

3. Can you use a quotation then a question in academic writing?

Yes, a quotation followed by a question can be used in academic writing as long as it is relevant to the topic being discussed and properly cited. However, it is important to use it sparingly and in a concise manner.

4. What are some techniques for effectively using a quotation then a question?

One technique is to use a quotation that is thought-provoking and relates directly to the topic being discussed. Another technique is to ask a question that encourages the reader to reflect on the quotation and draw their own conclusions.

5. Is it necessary to cite the source of the quotation when using a quotation then a question?

Yes, it is important to always cite the source of the quotation when using a quotation then a question. This not only gives credit to the original author but also ensures the accuracy and credibility of the information being presented.