Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A quotation then a question

1. Mar 10, 2009 #1
    "
    (dy/dx) = (dy/du)(du/dx)

Caution: Notice that if (dy/du) and (du/dx) were quotients rather than expressions for derivatives, we could cancel the du`s and make (5) into an identity. But we stree that du has not been defined as an entity, and consequently it is not legitimate to cancel the du`s. Nonetheless, the resemblance between (5) and an algebraic identity makes it easy to remember.
    "

so, he`s saying that I can`t cancel out the du`s, because they are not quotients, but expressions for derivative..
    but I think that they can be canceled out!? is that true?
    and yes they are expressions for derivative, but also they are quotients..
    and I understand that we need them, and it would be meaningless to cancel them..
    its just that I think he`s giving me wrong information when he said that I "can`t cancel them out" because "they are expressions for derivatives"

Am I wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2009 #2
    That's the chain rule. It is a legitimate identity, but it is not quite as immediately obvious as some may think.

4. Mar 10, 2009 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should not think of them as quotients.

The derivative dy/dx is the limit of quotients. That is *not* the same thing as being a quotient. In some cases identities can be remembered because things cancel as if it were legitimate to separate the dy and dx. You should *not* think that you can separate them out at this stage.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook