Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A quote from one of the great ones

1. Jan 4, 2004 #1
    Hello all. I recently stumbled onto this forum, and I'm so glad I did.

I'm hoping one of you can help me remember a quote I read years ago, I think it was by one of the founding fathers of quantum mechanics. As near as I can remember, it read something like "anyone who is not astounded by seeing two magnets leap together simply doesn't understand the significance of what they are seeing". Any help will be much appreciated.

Peace.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2004 #2
    I found some on this page :

"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet." - Niels Bohr

4. Jan 4, 2004 #3
    I found this:

"Anyone who says that they can contemplate quantum mechanics without becoming dizzy has not understood the concept in the least." -- Niels Bohr

http://www.quotedb.com/quotes/2040

5. Jan 4, 2004 #4
    I appreciate the replies, but neither of the quotes mentioned are the one I'm trying to track down. The quote I'm looking for specifically referred to astoundment at watching two magnets leap together and the profoundly mysterious nature of magnetism and it's underlying physics.

6. Jan 5, 2004 #5
    I thought I'd give it a try thinking you might recognize the name. I'll let you know if I find out who said that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?