1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A radio inductor.

1. Apr 18, 2004 #1
    A radio inductor. Please help!

Hello.
    I am seeking immediate help with a problem I have. Here is the problem:

A Radio Inductor. You want the current amplitude through a inductor with an inductance of 4.60 mH (part of the circuitry for a radio receiver) to be 2.20 mA when a sinusoidal voltage with an amplitude of 12.0 V is applied across the inductor.
    What frequency is required?

What I tried to do was use this equation:
    w = 1/(square root of(LC)) and combining it with w = I/Q which is also w0 = I/(CV), and then I would have C which I could use to find w. But that's gotta be the wrong way. I've tried some other ways which I think would make more sense, but it just doesn't seem to come out right. Is there any chance you can help me with this?
    Thank you,
    Cernie.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't see how we can do this without knowing the frequency of the applied 12 volt current.

4. Apr 19, 2004 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The (real) impedance of an inductor of inductance L at frequency [itex]\omega[/itex] is [itex]Z = \omega L[/itex]. Ohm's law is V = IZ.

Substituting and rearranging,

[tex]\frac{V}{L I} = \omega[/tex]

Solving for [itex]\omega[/itex], I get ~188 kHz.

- Warren

Last edited: Apr 19, 2004
  5. Apr 19, 2004 #4
    How?

How do you get that answer?
    I've already tried this method and I always get the same answer, w = 1185771 Hz = 1.19MHz.

6. Apr 19, 2004 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?