Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: A radio inductor.

1. Apr 18, 2004 #1
    A radio inductor. Please help!

Hello.
    I am seeking immediate help with a problem I have. Here is the problem:

A Radio Inductor. You want the current amplitude through a inductor with an inductance of 4.60 mH (part of the circuitry for a radio receiver) to be 2.20 mA when a sinusoidal voltage with an amplitude of 12.0 V is applied across the inductor.
    What frequency is required?

What I tried to do was use this equation:
    w = 1/(square root of(LC)) and combining it with w = I/Q which is also w0 = I/(CV), and then I would have C which I could use to find w. But that's gotta be the wrong way. I've tried some other ways which I think would make more sense, but it just doesn't seem to come out right. Is there any chance you can help me with this?
    Thank you,
    Cernie.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

I don't see how we can do this without knowing the frequency of the applied 12 volt current.

4. Apr 19, 2004 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The (real) impedance of an inductor of inductance L at frequency [itex]\omega[/itex] is [itex]Z = \omega L[/itex]. Ohm's law is V = IZ.

Substituting and rearranging,

[tex]\frac{V}{L I} = \omega[/tex]

Solving for [itex]\omega[/itex], I get ~188 kHz.

- Warren

Last edited: Apr 19, 2004
  5. Apr 19, 2004 #4
    How?

How do you get that answer?
    I've already tried this method and I always get the same answer, w = 1185771 Hz = 1.19MHz.

6. Apr 19, 2004 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook