What is the Exitant Radiance from a Lambertian Plate on a Cloudy Day?

• Thread starter Hodranoel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radiometry
In summary, the conversation discusses an exercise involving a flat plate with a uniform Lambertian reflectance placed on the highest mountain in a landscape on a cloudy day. The question is asked about the exitant radiance leaving the center point of the plate in different directions, and the answer is determined to be 400(pi) W/m^2 in both cases due to the surface's Lambertian nature.
Hodranoel
The exercise i have is as follows:

A flat plate (measuring 0.5 meter by 0.5 meter) is placed on the highest mountain in the landscape, exactly horizontal. It is a cloudy day, such that the sky has a uniform radiance of 1000 W/ m^2 sr.
The plate has a uniform Lambertian reflectance p=0.4.
What is the exitant radiance leaving the center point of the plate in a direction 45 degrees from the normal? In a direction normal to the surface?

Would you help me please?
Thank you in advance!

Boulayo

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok... maybe I've solved it but i still have some doubt.

The answer should be: It's 400(pi) W/m^2 in both cases of 45° and 0° because the surface is Lambertian.
The irradiance on a point of the surface is 1000(pi) W/m^2, then the reflected radiosity is 400(pi) in every direction because it's multiplied with the reflectance.

Can you confirm it? Thanks! :-)

1. What is radiometry?

Radiometry is the study of electromagnetic radiation, including its properties, behavior, and interactions with matter.

2. What is a radiometry problem?

A radiometry problem is a scientific question or puzzle related to the measurement or calculation of electromagnetic radiation.

3. What are some common applications of radiometry?

Radiometry has many practical applications, including remote sensing, medical imaging, astronomy, and atmospheric science.

4. What units are used in radiometry?

The most commonly used units in radiometry are watts (W), joules (J), and meters (m). Other units, such as the gray (Gy) and the sievert (Sv), may also be used for specific applications.

5. How do scientists solve radiometry problems?

Scientists use a variety of mathematical and computational techniques to solve radiometry problems, including analyzing data, creating models, and conducting experiments.