Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Rant over the war between the generations: The last great insult

1. May 23, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Many people here are too young to remember this, but enviromental issues once divided the generations more than the two political parties - at least in my universe. In short, I spend half of my life, politically, arguing with guys my dad's age about the environment. It really all started with the book Silent Spring, which was written by a Biologist as I remember, but typically it was the anti-war, extreme left wing, you know, the hippies and draft dodgers, that supported all of this environmental mumbo jumbo...according to people my fathers age. Keep in mind that this begins in about 1968. I find that for people my age, and for people my father's age, these tensions can still manifest with surprising intensity. I recently fell right into a similar generations argument over Vietnam with my friend of nearly thirty years, my high school physics teacher. This is still a sore subject for us.

Keeping in mind that I mean no disrespect to my parent's generation, which really did give so much, from the depression through WWII and Korea, they still really tick me off when it comes to the environment. As the last slap in the face, the last statement of complete disregard for this question of lifestyles and the environment, how does a significant percent of my parent's generation spend their retirement years?

DRIVING MOTORHOMES FROM HERE TO KINGDOM COME!!!

Been wanting to get that off of my chest for a long time.
    Thank you very much.

Last edited: May 23, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2004 #2

4. May 23, 2004 #3
    Well, at least with older people who are going to die within a few decades, they don't have to worry about what will happen to the environment down the road, because they'll be dead. It seems to be the people that'll have to deal with it who are more likely to care, though there are still alot of young people who don't care about the environment at all.

5. May 24, 2004 #4
    I guess we need another Teddy Roosevelt to solve this problem...

6. May 25, 2004 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yes, if Teddy said to save energy, that would have been the end of it. :biggrin:

Oh wait, I meant the other Roosevelt - FDR.

Last edited: May 25, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?