A rare breed of online IQ test

• Thread starter rollete
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iq Test
In summary, the conversation discusses the accuracy and validity of online IQ tests, with one person sharing their experience with a recent test and another person expressing their belief that such tests are meaningless. They also mention the potential uses of IQ tests in a clinical setting, but ultimately conclude that for the general population, IQ tests are just for fun or curiosity and should not be taken too seriously.
rollete
That doesn't artificially inflate your results. So I'm curious to see how accurate it is (perceived to be) among the 'general population'.

43 minutes to solve out 38 pattern recognition problems. I scored 113 (SD15). Way less than what I usually get in this kind of online IQ games (130s/140s), but a much more believable score if I'm honest with myself.

It's from Japan and might be one of the most accurate free IQ tests one can find on the internet. If you have the courage to face an ego crushing truth by the end of it, go ahead and try to ace it. Post your results here.

It's never enough to repeat these tests should be taken for fun only, of course.

Edit by mod: link removed

By the way, I'm in no way associated with this test or its creator. I'm just sharing a curiosity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
rollete said:
That doesn't artificially inflate your results. So I'm curious to see how accurate it is (perceived to be) among the 'general population'.

43 minutes to solve out 38 pattern recognition problems. I scored 113 (SD15). Way less than what I usually get in this kind of online IQ games (130s/140s), but a much more believable score if I'm honest with myself.

It's from Japan and might be one of the most accurate free IQ tests one can find on the internet. If you have the courage to face an ego crushing truth by the end of it, go ahead and try to ace it. Post your results here.

It's never enough to repeat these tests should be taken for fun only, of course.By the way, I'm in no way associated with this test or its creator. I'm just sharing a curiosity.
IQ tests are pretty much meaningless, particularly the random on-line ones. If you take a pattern recognition test, you have tested your ability to recognize patterns, you have NOT tested your intelligence in anything but an almost meaninglessly limited way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes fresh_42
Well, depends on the context. In a clinical setting IQ tests are useful tools that help psychologists assess the patients' cognitive health/limitations (relevant in early school admission to adapt educational plans to the needs of the intellectually challenged or gifted and relevant in psychiatric evaluations).

But for the vast majority of the 'healthy' population, yes, I would say that knowing one's IQ is of limited to no practical use. IQ is not a synonym of 'intelligence', and 'intelligence' is not a quantifiable quality.

In any case, one can still entertain IQ tests just for the fun of it or the challenge or simple curiosity. Nothing wrong with curiosity. It's pertinent to verify possible correlations between different tools.

Online IQ tests are games, that's all. The internet is full of them and they have no meaning as far as a measure of IQ. Anyone that wishes to play them can do so any time. Thread Closed.

Likes Pepper Mint and Fervent Freyja

1. What is an online IQ test?

An online IQ test is a type of cognitive assessment that is taken through a digital platform, typically on a computer or mobile device. It is designed to measure a person's intelligence and problem-solving abilities.

2. What makes this IQ test a rare breed?

This particular online IQ test may be considered a rare breed due to its unique format or content. It may also be rare in the sense that it is not widely known or used compared to other online IQ tests.

3. How accurate is this IQ test?

The accuracy of any IQ test, including online tests, can vary depending on a variety of factors. It is important to note that no IQ test can provide a completely accurate measure of intelligence, as there are many different types of intelligence that cannot be captured by one test.

4. How long does it take to complete this IQ test?

The length of time it takes to complete an online IQ test can vary depending on the specific test and individual test-taker. On average, an online IQ test may take anywhere from 30-60 minutes to complete.

5. Can I improve my IQ score by practicing this test?

The results of an IQ test are meant to reflect a person's overall cognitive abilities, which are largely determined by genetics. While practicing an IQ test may improve your score on that particular test, it is unlikely to significantly increase your overall intelligence.