1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A ray of light through a prism

1. Apr 11, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A light ray in air strikes the right-angle prism shown in the figure (Figure 1) (∠B=28.0∘). This ray consists of two different wavelengths. When it emerges at face AB, it has been split into two different rays that diverge from each other by 8.50∘ .

Find the index of refraction of the prism for each of the two wavelengths.
    Enter your answers in ascending order separated by a comma.

2. Relevant equations
    nasinΘa=nbsinΘb

3. The attempt at a solution
    From the Normal I determined that the angles for n1 and n2 are 74 and 82.5. However I am running into the issue of where to go from here Also the angle for the incident angle is 62.

I did not know what the index is for the Right angle prism I used 1.5 for glass for it orginally and out with the values 1.38 (74)and 1.34 (82.5). however those were not the correct values.

I do not know where to go from here

thank you in advance

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, ghostops.

Your numbers look good to me.

I believe this is what the question is asking you to calculate. Try setting up Snell's law for the ray corresponding to the 12o angle in the picture. Then repeat for the other ray.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted