1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A real challenge: real gas isothermal delta h

1. Feb 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using any software, create the enthalpy table for the following two cases of superheated steam:

1. Isobaric process at a chosen pressure in 100 spaces of 5 degrees celcius.
    2. Isothermal process at a chosen temperature, given Vg from the book, in 1000 spaces of 0.1 bar

2. Relevant equations

The 4 maxwell equations
    Pv=zRT, Pv=RT(IDEAL)
    du=Tds-pdv, dh = Tds-vdp
    dh=CpdT + [v-T*(∂V/∂T)p]dP <---- MAIN EQUATION
    Can use many more though

3. The attempt at a solution

Hi guys (and girls). I just created my account, this is my first threat. I came across this very difficult problem and I am IN NEED for some help. I managed to solve relatively easy the first part. I integrated the Cp function since dP=0 and voila, I was done. I use FORTRAN, but I can use Excel if necessary.The problem is the second part. Since the process is isothermal, CpdT=0. But I cannot use ideal gas equations. I chose a temperature and found the Vg from my book. Then I integraded both sides and ended up with:
    hf-hi = v(Pf-Pi) - T*???(Pf-Pi), where '???' is the integrated (∂V/∂T)p part. I tried it as an ideal gas, as a compressibility factor Z equation, I even put various values in Excel and plotted the V(T) at a constant pressure equation, but the answers are definitely wrong. I triple checked the programming code. Any help from some experts?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?