Calculate Money Owed Between A, B & C in Shared Apartment Flat

• Thread starter hkBattousai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the three friends, A, B, and C, rented an apartment together and split the cost of all household goods equally. Now that they are going their separate ways, they are using a drawing to decide who gets which household items. The function f is defined as the amount of money that one person pays to another based on what they end up taking. For example, if A takes 1/2 of the goods, they would have to pay (1/2 - 1/3)T to the common bank account, while B would pay (3/8 - 1/3)T and C would receive (1/3 - 1/8)T. Alternatively, they could settle it directly by
hkBattousai
I'm a collage student, I rented an apartment flat with my 2 friends. We bought all house things by each of us paying 1/3 of their price.

An now we are to break apart, I decided to make a drawing (like lottery) to decide who take which house hold.

Assume that,
A, B, C: Names of three people
T: Total cost of all household goods
N: Total number of all all household goods
ai: Cost of element of set of the household goods that A takes as a result of the drawing
bi: Cost of element of set of the household goods that B takes as a result of the drawing
ci: Cost of element of set of the household goods that C takes as a result of the drawing
m: Number of household goods that A takes as a result of the drawing
n: Number of household goods that B takes as a result of the drawing
k: Number of household goods that C takes as a result of the drawing

Can you give me the function f defined as,
f(person1, person2): Amount of money that person1 pays to person2
in terms of the parameters listed above.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It only depends on what each person ends up taking, since everyone has already paid 1/3, doesn't it?

So suppose A takes 1/2 of all the goods, B takes 3/8 and C takes 1/8.
Then A will have to deposit (1/2 - 1/3)T in the common bank account and B should pay (3/8 - 1/3)T, while C gets to withdraw (1/3 - 1/8)T.

If you want, you can skip the bank account and settle it directly by making A pay (1/2-1/3)T to C directly, and let B pay (3/8-1/3)T to C.

1. How do I calculate the money owed between my roommates in a shared apartment flat?

To calculate the money owed between roommates in a shared apartment flat, you will need to determine the total cost of shared expenses, such as rent, utilities, and groceries. Next, divide the total cost by the number of roommates to get the shared cost per person. Then, subtract the shared cost per person from the individual costs of each roommate. The result will be the amount each roommate owes or is owed.

2. Do I need to include individual expenses in the calculation?

Yes, individual expenses should be included in the calculation. This includes any personal purchases made by each roommate, such as toiletries or meals eaten outside of the apartment. These expenses should be subtracted from the total cost before dividing by the number of roommates.

3. How do I handle unequal expenses or payments among roommates?

If there are unequal expenses or payments among roommates, you can adjust the calculation accordingly. For example, if one roommate paid for a larger portion of groceries, this amount can be deducted from their individual cost before calculating the shared cost per person. Alternatively, the roommates can agree on a fair distribution of expenses and adjust the calculation accordingly.

4. What if one roommate is not paying their share of expenses?

If one roommate is not paying their share of expenses, this should be addressed among the roommates. It may be necessary to come up with a plan for the non-paying roommate to catch up on their payments or make alternative arrangements. The calculation can be adjusted to reflect any changes in expenses or payments made by the roommates.

5. Is there a specific formula or method for calculating money owed between roommates?

There is no specific formula or method for calculating money owed between roommates. The key is to determine the total cost of shared expenses and divide it fairly among the roommates. The method used may vary depending on the specific situation and individual agreements among the roommates.