1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A real life problem

1. Jun 23, 2010 #1
    I'm a collage student, I rented an apartment flat with my 2 friends. We bought all house things by each of us paying 1/3 of their price.

An now we are to break apart, I decided to make a drawing (like lottery) to decide who take which house hold.

Assume that,
    A, B, C: Names of three people
    T: Total cost of all household goods
    N: Total number of all all household goods
    ai: Cost of element of set of the household goods that A takes as a result of the drawing
    bi: Cost of element of set of the household goods that B takes as a result of the drawing
    ci: Cost of element of set of the household goods that C takes as a result of the drawing
    m: Number of household goods that A takes as a result of the drawing
    n: Number of household goods that B takes as a result of the drawing
    k: Number of household goods that C takes as a result of the drawing

Can you give me the function f defined as,
    f(person1, person2): Amount of money that person1 pays to person2
    in terms of the parameters listed above.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2010 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It only depends on what each person ends up taking, since everyone has already paid 1/3, doesn't it?

So suppose A takes 1/2 of all the goods, B takes 3/8 and C takes 1/8.
    Then A will have to deposit (1/2 - 1/3)T in the common bank account and B should pay (3/8 - 1/3)T, while C gets to withdraw (1/3 - 1/8)T.

If you want, you can skip the bank account and settle it directly by making A pay (1/2-1/3)T to C directly, and let B pay (3/8-1/3)T to C.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook