A really big huge notebook

• Thread starter rootX
  • Start date
In summary: I suggest them for those looking for desktop replacements....or for the ultimate portable there's this http://www.sun.com/emrkt/blackbox/index.jsp...I almost caused a security alert at Houston airport with my huge laptop!In summary, a heavy laptop is preferable to a lightweight laptop for those who want a desktop replacement.
rootX
I am looking for a desktop replacement notebook
Can anyone suggest me one that is under 1400$?
I looked around, and found most of them are over 1400 :shy:

here are some specifications that I want:
CPU >=2GHz
Display Screen >=15.4'
Min Weight >=10 lb
Hard drive size 30 GB <= 80 GB

and I really don't want those features like DVD+R ones..
and it shouldn't be slim.

so, do you know any that has these specifications?
(I really don't know hardware stuff, so it all might be silly :uhh:)

thanks a lot!

Computer science news on Phys.org
It would be a good idea to ask here www.hardforum.com. When it comes to computing they will be able to find you the best deal.

I have the DELL Precision M90 with a 17" screen. It's a monster but is good for showing software demos - hard to find a bag to carry it though.
You can probably get them for about that at the dell outlet.

Why do you require a heavy notebook?
Does it count if you got a heavier secondary battery in place of a dvd-drive?
Or maybe get a port replicator?
Does the weight of the power brick count?

Uh.. I'm pretty sure he meant "max weight," not "min weight." Of <= instead of >= or something. Obviously no one desires a heavy laptop.

- Warren

Last edited:
ahh...thanks very much everyone..
made my decision in one day ^^
so, I ordered Toshiba something 17'' and about 8 pounds..
hmm..for pretty reasonble price 1200$.
and now, I really don't want to see any other notebooks lol(so that I don't have to repent)

oh yes, I was looking for a really heavy laptop like those SUVs or big heavy duty trucks.. I love my desktop and so I was just looking for something like that...

P.S. I spent most of time on another site www.pcworld.com... and some others but didn't go through that one

it's Toshiba Satellite P200
and that site does have a review for it though couldn't find it on pcworld..

thnx again

Last edited:
rootX said:
Min Weight >=10 lb

Just buy the best computer you can find to meet your other requirements, and then tape a brick to it if it's too light. (An extra battery would be more useful than a brick, if you can afford it on your $1400 budget.)

I almost caused a security alert at Houston airport with my huge laptop!
They ask you to take your shoes off, then they ask you to take the laptop out - it slid out of it's case and hit my poor little undefended toe.

ps Don't suddenly jump up in the air and scream out loud in an airport when surrounded by armed TSA people.

Especially not if you forgot to shave yourself for over a week.

CRGreathouse said:
Just buy the best computer you can find to meet your other requirements, and then tape a brick to it if it's too light. (An extra battery would be more useful than a brick, if you can afford it on your $1400 budget.)
I was going to suggest welding a UPS to a tower-style desktop. One could easily build a "portable" computer weighing more than 100 lbs. :rofl:

i am thinking of getting an external hard-disk...
it's almost the size of a brick :D

PS. I think "Min Weight >=10 lb" is a typo..><

You can get external drives based on 2.5" laptop drives, they will only be about 3 x 4 x 0.5" they can also be powered by the USB pot so no need for an externnal supply.
They cost more for the same capacity and are slower but are easier to carry.

las3rjock said:
I was going to suggest welding a UPS to a tower-style desktop. One could easily build a "portable" computer weighing more than 100 lbs. :rofl:
To add to this... You can have a desktop with all the portability of a laptop. I call it a "laptop replacement." All you have to do is take a desktop with a CRT, turn the tower on its side, and hinge the CRT to the tower. Now you have just turned a desktop into a laptop that'll definitely be over the minimum weight of 10lbs!:biggrin:

Seriously though, I know the OP already bought one, but I have a HP Pavilion zd8000. It makes a great desktop replacement! I suggest them for those looking for desktop replacements.

Last edited:
I had nothing but trouble with an HP laptop. I couldn't find drivers for half the hardware for any OS but Vista, and their graphics cards mostly all suck. I ended up with a Sony VAIO desktop replacement, and love it.

- Warren

sally456 said:
I also want to buy one that is not too expensive, but hard to find, help

It depends on what you want to use it for. If it is for gaming you can't really find one that's inexpensive. Also what qualifies as "inexpensive" for you?

1. What is a really big huge notebook?

A really big huge notebook is a type of notebook that is significantly larger than a standard notebook. It is typically used for taking extensive notes, brainstorming, or sketching out ideas.

2. How big is a really big huge notebook?

The size of a really big huge notebook can vary, but it is typically larger than 8.5 x 11 inches. Some may be as large as 11 x 17 inches or even bigger.

3. What are the benefits of using a really big huge notebook?

A really big huge notebook provides more space for creativity and organization. It also allows for more detailed notes or sketches and can be easier to read and review.

4. Can a really big huge notebook be used for different purposes?

Yes, a really big huge notebook can be used for a variety of purposes, such as journaling, planning, project management, or even as a sketchbook for artists.

5. Are there any downsides to using a really big huge notebook?

The main downside to using a really big huge notebook is that it may not be as portable as a standard notebook. It may also be more expensive and take up more space in a bag or on a desk.