A really confusing question on potential energy,

In summary, a 975 g block is released from rest at a height h0 above a vertical spring with a spring constant of 410 N/m. The block sticks to the spring and momentarily stops after compressing the spring 24.2 cm. The work done by the block on the spring and by the spring on the block can be calculated using mechanical energy equations. The value of h0 can be found by setting the "momentarily stop" as 0 for the height and solving for h0. However, this may not be accurate as the change in potential energy during compression should also be considered. If the block were released from 4h0 above the spring, the maximum compression of the spring can be calculated using elastic potential energy
i_hate_math

Homework Statement

A 975 g block is released from rest at height h0 above a vertical spring with spring constant k = 410 N/m and negligible mass. The block sticks to the spring and momentarily stops after compressing the spring 24.2 cm. How much work is done (a) by the block on the spring and (b) by the spring on the block? (c) What is the value of h0? (d) If the block were released from height 4h0 above the spring, what would be the maximum compression of the spring?

Homework Equations

Mechanical Energy: Emec=K+U
Conservation of Emec: K2+U2=K1+U1
Elastic Potential Energy: U(x)=0.5mk^2
Gravitational Potential Energy: U=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a&b are fairly straight forward I've got them right,
my attempt for part c was to set the "momentarily stop" as 0 for the height, and thus have
mgh0 = 0.5kx^2
and h0=1.256475144... but i was marked incorrect for this value.
so is my answer to part d, x=0.484m wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
i_hate_math said:

Homework Statement

A 975 g block is released from rest at height h0 above a vertical spring with spring constant k = 410 N/m and negligible mass. The block sticks to the spring and momentarily stops after compressing the spring 24.2 cm. How much work is done (a) by the block on the spring and (b) by the spring on the block? (c) What is the value of h0? (d) If the block were released from height 4h0 above the spring, what would be the maximum compression of the spring?

Homework Equations

Mechanical Energy: Emec=K+U
Conservation of Emec: K2+U2=K1+U1
Elastic Potential Energy: U(x)=0.5mk^2
Gravitational Potential Energy: U=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a&b are fairly straight forward I've got them right,
my attempt for part c was to set the "momentarily stop" as 0 for the height, and thus have
mgh0 = 0.5kx^2
and h0=1.256475144... but i was marked incorrect for this value.
so is my answer to part d, x=0.484m wrong.

i think you have missed a point in energy conservation - the change in P.E. =mg (ho+x) as the mass moves down during comprssion of the spring . so your energy gets missing by part mgx-ho should be less.

Likes i_hate_math
Check where h0 is measured from.

Likes i_hate_math
drvrm said:
i think you have missed a point in energy conservation - the change in P.E. =mg (ho+x) as the mass moves down during comprssion of the spring . so your energy gets missing by part mgx-ho should be less.
Thanks a lot mate

CWatters said:
Check where h0 is measured from.
Thanks!

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration. It is stored energy that has the potential to be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy.

2. How is potential energy different from kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or configuration, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa.

3. What are some examples of potential energy?

Some examples of potential energy include a book on a shelf, a stretched rubber band, a roller coaster at the top of a hill, and a compressed spring. These objects have the potential to release energy and change their position or shape.

4. How is potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating potential energy is PE = mgh, where PE is potential energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height or distance from the reference point. The unit for potential energy is joules (J).

5. What factors affect the amount of potential energy an object has?

The amount of potential energy an object has is affected by its mass, height, and the strength of the gravitational field it is in. The higher the object is positioned and the greater its mass, the more potential energy it will have. Additionally, objects in a stronger gravitational field will have more potential energy than those in a weaker field.