Why Can't the Potential Integral Formula Be Used for Infinite Line Charges?

• Thread starter brad sue
  • Start date
In summary, reasoning questions require critical thinking and logical reasoning to find a solution by analyzing information, making connections, and drawing conclusions based on evidence. The best approach is to carefully read and understand the question, break it down into smaller parts, and use logical reasoning and critical thinking skills. Strategies for solving these questions include identifying key information, making inferences, eliminating incorrect answer choices, and using visual aids. To improve reasoning skills, it is important to practice regularly and expose yourself to different types of reasoning questions. Common mistakes include not understanding the question, rushing through without considering all information, making assumptions without evidence, and being aware of biases and logical fallacies.
brad sue
Hi ,
i have a question I don't know how to answer:

Explain why the potential integral formula cannot be used to directly determine the potential from an infinite uniform line charge ρlo that is on the z axis.

When we talk about it in class, I learn that the potential integral was used for finite displacement. I d read the textbook but I did not have other information.

So I there other reason to answer this question?

B.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for your question. The potential integral formula, also known as the Coulomb's law, is used to determine the electric potential at a point in space due to a finite point charge or a finite line charge. This formula is derived from the principle of superposition, which states that the total potential at a point in space is the sum of the potentials due to each individual charge.

In the case of an infinite uniform line charge on the z-axis, the charge extends to infinity in both directions and is not finite. This means that the potential at any point along the z-axis would also be infinite, making it impossible to calculate using the potential integral formula. Additionally, the potential integral formula assumes that the charge distribution is finite and continuous, which is not the case for an infinite line charge.

Furthermore, the potential integral formula is derived from the concept of a point charge, which has a defined position and magnitude. However, an infinite line charge does not have a specific point location and its charge is distributed along the entire line. This makes it mathematically impossible to use the potential integral formula to directly determine the potential at any point on the z-axis.

In summary, the potential integral formula cannot be used to directly determine the potential from an infinite uniform line charge on the z-axis because the charge distribution is infinite, not finite, and the formula is derived from the concept of a point charge which does not apply to an infinite line charge. I hope this helps answer your question. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

1. What is a reasoning question?

A reasoning question is a type of question that requires critical thinking and logical reasoning to arrive at a solution. It often involves analyzing information, making connections, and drawing conclusions based on evidence.

2. How do you approach a reasoning question?

The best way to approach a reasoning question is to carefully read and understand the question, break it down into smaller parts, and consider all the given information. Then, use logical reasoning and critical thinking skills to make connections and arrive at a solution.

3. What are some strategies for solving reasoning questions?

Some strategies for solving reasoning questions include identifying key information, making inferences, eliminating incorrect answer choices, and using process of elimination. It is also helpful to use diagrams, tables, or other visual aids to organize information.

4. How do you improve your reasoning skills?

To improve reasoning skills, it is important to practice regularly and expose yourself to different types of reasoning questions. You can also read and analyze different arguments, solve puzzles and brain teasers, and engage in discussions or debates that require critical thinking.

5. What are some common mistakes made when answering reasoning questions?

Some common mistakes when answering reasoning questions include not understanding the question properly, rushing through the problem without carefully considering all the information, and making assumptions without evidence. It is also important to be aware of biases and logical fallacies that can affect your reasoning process.