What is the force exerted by a magnetic field on a rectangular loop of wire?

In summary, A rectangular loop of wire with dimensions 2.32 by 7.91 and resistance 0.557 is being pulled to the right out of a region of uniform magnetic field with magnitude 3.01 directed into the plane of the figure. At a speed of 2.99, the magnitude of the force exerted by the magnetic field on the loop is 0.146N and its direction is into the page. To solve for the force, we can use the equation F = (BLv/R)LB and to solve for the current, we can use Ohm's Law, I = V/R.
elec_eng

Homework Statement

A rectangular loop of wire with dimensions 2.32 by 7.91 and resistance 0.557 is being pulled to the right out of a region of uniform magnetic field. The magnetic field has magnitude 3.01 and is directed into the plane of the following figure .

At the instant when the speed of the loop is 2.99 and it is still partially in the field region, what is the magnitude of the force the magnetic field exert on the loop?

What is the direction of the force the magnetic field exert on the loop?

Homework Equations

I used
F=(BLv/R)LB

The Attempt at a Solution

I got F=.146N

Physics news on Phys.org
So how soon does the figure "follow"? Since the loop is not square it makes a difference.

B and v are to the right!

Here is the figure
http://www2.0zz0.com/2012/03/28/20/784488841.jpg

its pretty much what I tried. would you provide me with equations for that?

elec_eng said:
B and v are to the right!

No, B is into page. OK now that we have the facts we can help you.

I suggest first step is to determine the current thru the wire. Remember Michael Faraday and Georg Simon Ohm?

1. What is a rectangular loop of wire?

A rectangular loop of wire is a closed circuit made up of a rectangular-shaped wire. The ends of the wire are connected together to form a continuous loop.

2. What is the purpose of a rectangular loop of wire?

A rectangular loop of wire is often used in experiments and demonstrations to demonstrate the principles of electromagnetism. It can also be used in various electronic devices, such as antennas and motors.

3. How does a rectangular loop of wire create a magnetic field?

When an electric current flows through the wire, it generates a magnetic field around the wire. In a rectangular loop, the magnetic fields from each side of the wire combine to form a stronger magnetic field within the loop.

4. How can the strength of a magnetic field in a rectangular loop of wire be increased?

The strength of the magnetic field in a rectangular loop of wire can be increased by increasing the number of turns in the loop, increasing the current flowing through the wire, or by using a stronger material for the wire.

5. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field in a rectangular loop of wire?

The strength of the magnetic field in a rectangular loop of wire is affected by the number of turns in the loop, the current flowing through the wire, the shape and size of the loop, and the material of the wire.