1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A recurrence relation

1. Aug 8, 2011 #1
    Hi all

Suppose that [itex]a_1=\sqrt5[/itex], [itex]a_{n+1}=a_n^2-2[/itex] and [itex]g_n=\frac{a_1a_2...a_n}{a_{n+1}}[/itex].
    Evaluate [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty } g_n[/itex].

I have seen some information in http://oeis.org/search?q=3,7,47,2207&sort=&language=english&go=Search". Besides, the sequence gn seems as a good rational approximation for [itex]\sqrt5[/itex]. I know that the answer is 1, But I can't find any nice solution. Any hint is strongly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2011 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

I have yet to study recurrence relations for myself, but I played around with it for a bit and it seems like it was headed in the right direction.

[tex]g_n=\frac{a_1a_2...a_n}{a_n^2-2}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{a_n^2\left(\frac{a_1a_2...a_{n-1}}{a_n}\right)-2\left(\frac{a_1a_2...a_{n-1}}{a_n}\right)+2\left(\frac{a_1a_2...a_{n-1}}{a_n}\right)}{a_n^2-2}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{\left(a_n^2-2\right)\left(\frac{a_1a_2...a_{n-1}}{a_n}\right)+2\left(\frac{a_1a_2...a_{n-1}}{a_n}\right)}{a_n^2-2}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{a_1a_2...a_{n-1}}{a_n}+2\frac{a_1a_2...a_{n-1}}{a_na_{n+1}}[/tex]

[tex]=g_{n-1}+\frac{2}{a_n^2}g_n[/tex]

Hence we can express gn in terms of gn-1, and the factor multiplying gn-1 seems to say a lot about what gn is as n gets very large.

4. Aug 8, 2011 #3
    Thanks. I can't see what does it say about gn. Can you help me on this?

I found out how to show that:
    [tex]a_n=\frac{\varphi ^{2^n}-\varphi ^{-2^n}}{\varphi ^{2^{n-1}}-\varphi ^{-2^{n-1}}}[/tex]
    And then the rest is easy. But I'm still looking for a more elegant solution.

5. Aug 8, 2011 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Hmm, after looking at it a bit more I realize it's really not telling us as much as I originally thought.

After solving for gn in

[tex]g_n=g_{n-1}+\frac{2}{a^2_n-2}g_n[/tex] to obtain

[tex]g_n=\frac{a_n^2}{a_n^2-2}g_{n-1}[/tex]

I was simply arguing that the factor approaches 1 as n gets large, but this doesn't really tell us about the limit of gn...

6. Aug 8, 2011 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi asmani! :smile:
    reverse-engineering that expression, we get

an = sinh(C2n)/sinh(C2n-1) = 2cosh(C2n-1)​

sooo … try defining an = 2coshbn :wink:

7. Aug 8, 2011 #6
    Thanks. I think it's better not to simplify the fraction to get:
    [tex]g_n=a_1a_2\cdots a_n\frac{1}{a_{n+1}}=\frac{\sinh(C2^1) }{\sinh(C2^0)}\frac{\sinh(C2^2) }{\sinh(C2^1)}\cdots \frac{\sinh(C2^n) }{\sinh(C2^{n-1})}\frac{\sinh(C2^n) }{\sinh(C2^{n+1})}[/tex]
    [tex]=\frac{\sinh^2(C2^n) }{\sinh(C2^0)\sinh(C2^{n+1})}[/tex]
    Where C=Log(φ).
    And now calculating the limit is easy.

8. Aug 8, 2011 #7

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Sorry about wasting your time asmani, I should've left it to the big guys :biggrin:

9. Aug 9, 2011 #8
    No, I appreciate your participation in this thread. :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook