A relative velocity problem

I agree with you. Thanks for the confirmation.In summary, the conversation discusses the relative velocity of rain to a man walking on the road and how he can protect himself from the rain by holding his umbrella at a certain angle. The angle is derived to be tan^-1(2/sqrt(5)) and the book is correct in stating the angle with respect to the horizontal. There is also a discussion about the direction of the rain and how it can affect the angle.
manjuvenamma

Homework Statement

Rain is falling down vertically. To a man walking on the road, velocity of rain appears to be 1.5 times his velocity. Then to protect himself from rain, he holds his umbrella at an angle (theta) to the vertical such that tan (theta) =

Homework Equations

The relative velocity of rain to man is R-M where R is rain velocity and M is man's velocity.

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume the rain velocity vector is R. We can think it is -rJ. J is a unit vector along y axis. r is the magnitude of rain velocity. The negative sign comes because of the direction of rain - down.

Similarly M = mI where I is unit vector along x axis. The relative velocity of rain to man is R-M = -rJ-mI.

The magnitude of R-M is 1.5m (given).

1.5m = sqrt(r^2+m^2) implies m/r = 2/sqrt(5) = tan(theta).

But the answer stated in the book is the reciprocal i.e. sqrt(5)/2. Who is right?

Physics news on Phys.org
The book is correct. Note that they ask for the angle with respect to the vertical. :wink:

I considered angle with the vertical only. For angle with the vertical the tan would be

side an x axix/side on y axis

which in our case is m/r which was derived equal to 2/sqrt(5).

Please let me know where I am going wrong if I am.

Oops! My bad. You were correct. The book gave the angle w.r.t. the horizontal, not the vertical. (Sorry about that! :redface:)

Another related question. Rain is falling in NW direction. Will the vector be in the 2nd quadrant or the 4th quadrant? Why I am asking this is that it is a subtle but importnat difference. The angle will be different in the two cases event thoufh raising out of the same event. Generally we draw all vectors starting from origin. Here if we draw the vector starting from origin (parallel shifts of vectors are equal vectors) it will be in the 4th quadrant. If we draw the vector ending at the origin it will be in the second quadrant.

I don't understand your question. How are you defining your coordinates?

OK, let me put the question in other words. The rain falling from NW direction will it be making 135 degrees with the EAST (x axis) and fall in the second quadrant or will it be making 315 degrees with the EAST (x axis) and fall in the 4th quardrant)? Direciton of the rain is NW, so if we draw a vector originating from the origin ( as we do for all position vectors) then this will be in the fourth quadrant, the vector makes an angle of 315 degrees. But we generally think NW makes an angle of 135 with the EAST. Hence my question? Thanks.

from the NW or to the NW?

manjuvenamma said:
OK, let me put the question in other words. The rain falling from NW direction will it be making 135 degrees with the EAST (x axis) and fall in the second quadrant or will it be making 315 degrees with the EAST (x axis) and fall in the 4th quardrant)? Direciton of the rain is NW, so if we draw a vector originating from the origin ( as we do for all position vectors) then this will be in the fourth quadrant, the vector makes an angle of 315 degrees. But we generally think NW makes an angle of 135 with the EAST. Hence my question? Thanks.
If the direction of the rain is from the NW, it will make an angle of 315 degrees with the East. If you drew the velocity vector of the rain from the origin, it would lie in the 4th quadrant.

On the other hand, if the direction of the rain is to the NW, it will make an angle of 135 degrees with the East and lie in the 2nd quadrant.

Take your pick!

Thanks, that is what I too thought and that appears logical. Even though NW, in the normal usage means 135 degrees with the east when we say from NW, the vector should be 315 degrees with the East.

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the measure of the velocity of one object in relation to another object. It takes into account the motion of both objects and is used to describe how they move in relation to each other.

2. How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity is calculated by subtracting the velocity of one object from the velocity of another object. This gives the relative velocity between the two objects.

3. What is the difference between relative and absolute velocity?

Absolute velocity is the measure of an object's velocity in relation to a fixed point, while relative velocity takes into account the motion of both objects and describes their velocity in relation to each other.

4. Can relative velocity be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be negative. This indicates that the two objects are moving in opposite directions from each other.

5. What are some real-life examples of relative velocity?

One example of relative velocity is when a car passes a stationary object, such as a tree. The car's velocity in relation to the tree is different from its velocity in relation to the road. Another example is when two boats are moving in the same direction but at different speeds, their relative velocity will be the difference between their velocities.