Exploring Quantum Physics: Understanding Experiments and Interpretations

• I
  • Thread starter Risk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Request
In summary, for those interested in learning more about the philosophy of physics and specifically quantum mechanics, there are several recommended books available such as "College Physics" and "University Physics Volume 3" by openstax.org, "Do we really understand quantum mechanics?" by Franck Laloë, "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind, "The New Quantum Age" by A. Whitaker, and "Sneaking a Look at God's Cards" by Giancarlo Ghirardi. These books cover various aspects of quantum mechanics and its interpretations, providing a better understanding of the subject.
Risk
Greetings…

I am interested in philosophy and while reading about "philosophy of physics" I came across "Quantum Physics" (quantum mechanics to be exact). I need a book (or several books if one can't encompass what I want) that explains the experiments that were conducted on this matter and the scientific facts that were deduced from them on one hand. On the other, (most importantly) I want it to present objectively the different theories/interpretations/models that were constructed to explain the mechanics (like Copenhagen, Bohmian, pilot-wave, multiworld interpretation, etc). I came across different websites and scientific papers that present these interpretations but they contradict one another, so I need the guidance from experts in this forum.

In short, what I need is a book(s) that separates what was established as scientific facts from the interpretations (scientific theories) that were constructed to explain the phenomena, with an adequate and objective presentation to these theories.

Excuse me for this "naïve" request, I am a medical student. And I hope I posted this thread in the right section, for as you can see I am new here.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: are the Bohmian mechanics, pilot-wave mechanics and stochastic mechanisms the same?

Likes Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
One more book for the pile is Leonard Susskind's recent book on Quantum Mechanics. It is a good treatment and at a level for folks who've been away from school for at least twenty years who want a better than pop-sci understanding of Quantum Mechanics.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0465062903/?tag=pfamazon01-20

He also has two other books in the sequence on Classical Mechanics and Special Relativity.

Likes Risk and vanhees71
Risk said:
P.S.: are the Bohmian mechanics, pilot-wave mechanics and stochastic mechanisms the same?
The first two are the same, the last one is not.

By the way, the recommendations of d'Espagnat and Laloe above are very good. If they are too technical for you, try also A. Whitaker, The New Quantum Age
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0198754760/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Likes Risk and vanhees71
I am very thankful for you guys, I'll check them out.

Likes Demystifier

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It describes how particles interact with each other and how they behave in different situations.

2. What are some key experiments in quantum physics?

Some key experiments in quantum physics include the Double-Slit experiment, which demonstrated the wave-particle duality of light, and the Stern-Gerlach experiment, which showed the quantization of angular momentum in atoms.

3. What is the uncertainty principle in quantum physics?

The uncertainty principle, also known as Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. This is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and is often explained using the mathematical concept of wave-particle duality.

4. What is the role of interpretation in quantum physics?

Interpretation is a crucial aspect of quantum physics as it helps us make sense of the often counterintuitive and puzzling behavior of particles at the quantum level. Different interpretations, such as the Copenhagen interpretation and the many-worlds interpretation, attempt to explain the underlying mechanisms behind quantum phenomena.

5. How is quantum physics relevant to everyday life?

Quantum physics has many practical applications that impact our daily lives, such as transistors in electronic devices, lasers in medical equipment, and cryptography in secure communication. It also helps us understand the fundamental building blocks of the universe and how they interact with each other.