Proving Inequalities Between Infimum and Supremum in Subset Relations

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that when A is a subset of B and B is a subset of R (A and B are non-empty sets), then infB <= infA <= supA <= supB. The method proposed involves using the definition of inf in terms of \leq and proving that for every e > 0, infA - infB > e/2, which implies that infA > infB. Similarly, it is mentioned that supA >= infA and the same logic can be applied to show that supA <= supB.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
i need to show that when A is a subset of B and B is a subset of R (A B are non empty sets) then: infB<=infA<=supA<=SupB

here's what i did:
if infA is in A then infA is in B, and by defintion of inf, infB<=infA.
if infA isn't in A then for every e>0 we choose, infA+e is in A and so infA is in B, so infA+e>=infB, we can find e'>0 such that infA+e>=infB+e'>infB
so we have: infA-infB>=e'-e, let e=e'/2 then we have infA-infB>e'/2>0 so we have infA>infB. (is this method correct?).
obviously supA>=infA by defintion.
i think that the same goes for supA and supB, with suitable changes.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You don't need to use an e>0. Go back to the original definition of inf in terms of just [itex]\leq[/itex].

how exactly to use it?
i mean if a is in A then a is in B, infA<=a so for every c<=a infA>=c
because a is in B also then a>=infB, but because infA is the greatest lower bound then we have infB<=infA, correct?

Everything there sounds right except for that thing with c which I didn't follow.

1. What is a supremum and infimum in mathematics?

A supremum, also known as the least upper bound, is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the elements in a set. An infimum, also known as the greatest lower bound, is the largest number that is less than or equal to all the elements in a set.

2. How are supremum and infimum used in real analysis?

In real analysis, supremum and infimum are used to define the limit of a sequence or a function. They are also used to prove the existence of extrema in a set, as well as to define the continuity of a function.

3. What is the difference between supremum and maximum?

A maximum is the largest element in a set, while a supremum is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the elements in a set. In other words, a maximum must be an element in the set, while a supremum may not necessarily be an element in the set.

4. Can a set have both a supremum and an infimum?

Yes, a set can have both a supremum and an infimum. For example, the set of all real numbers between 0 and 1 has a supremum of 1 and an infimum of 0.

5. How do you find the supremum and infimum of a set?

To find the supremum and infimum of a set, you can start by ordering the elements in the set from smallest to largest. The supremum will be the largest element in the set, while the infimum will be the smallest element in the set. If the set is unbounded, the supremum or infimum may not exist.