1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A review of supremum infimum.

1. Oct 30, 2006 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

i need to show that when A is a subset of B and B is a subset of R (A B are non empty sets) then: infB<=infA<=supA<=SupB

here's what i did:
    if infA is in A then infA is in B, and by defintion of inf, infB<=infA.
    if infA isnt in A then for every e>0 we choose, infA+e is in A and so infA is in B, so infA+e>=infB, we can find e'>0 such that infA+e>=infB+e'>infB
    so we have: infA-infB>=e'-e, let e=e'/2 then we have infA-infB>e'/2>0 so we have infA>infB. (is this method correct?).
    obviously supA>=infA by defintion.
    i think that the same goes for supA and supB, with suitable changes.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

You don't need to use an e>0. Go back to the original definition of inf in terms of just [itex]\leq[/itex].

4. Oct 30, 2006 #3

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

how exactly to use it?
    i mean if a is in A then a is in B, infA<=a so for every c<=a infA>=c
    because a is in B also then a>=infB, but because infA is the greatest lower bound then we have infB<=infA, correct?

5. Oct 30, 2006 #4

StatusX

Homework Helper

Everything there sounds right except for that thing with c which I didn't follow.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook