Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A review of the integral of x!

1. May 22, 2005 #1
    I still think the x! can be resolved 2 a polynomial and then solved normally,or cant it,cos my friend is already working on it and has began to mke progress.
    Or cant the x! be resolved let me know

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2005 #2

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you mean "..the x! can be resolved 2 a polynomial and then solved normally.."?

Factorial is only defined on non-negative integers, and not on any real interval (not considering a single point an interval here), so asking about it's integral is a bit of nonsense. Or do you mean factoria'ls usual extension to the Gamma function?

4. May 22, 2005 #3

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Almost no functions from Real numbers to Real numbers can be integrated in terms of elementary functions. To my knowledge only polynomials can be integrated to polynomials.

x! is not a function from real numbers to real numbers, it is a function from non-negative integers to non-negative integers and can't be integrated. Even if it could be integrated it grows faster than any polynomial so certainly its integral couldn't even be approximated by a polynomial over its whole domain.

5. May 22, 2005 #4

cronxeh

Gold Member

6. May 22, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could have spelled his name right...

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?