Proving Containment in AB for Ideals A and B in a Commutative Ring with Unity

• Thread starter e(ho0n3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rings
In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that if A and B are ideals of a commutative ring R with unity and A + B = R, then A \cap B = AB. The conversation includes attempts at a solution and a discussion about the definition of AB. Ultimately, it is concluded that AB is closed under addition, which demonstrates that it is an ideal.
e(ho0n3

Homework Statement

If A and B are ideals of a commutative ring R with unity and A + B = R, show that [itex]A \cap B[/itex] = AB.

The Attempt at a Solution

Showing [itex]AB \subseteq A \cap B[/itex] is easy. I'm having trouble with containment in the other direction:

Let [itex]x \in A \cap B[/itex]. Then x is in A and x is in B. To show that x belongs to AB, it suffices to show that 1 belongs to either A or B and so 1x or x1 belongs to AB. It seems to me that 1 isn't necessarily in A or B so this approach is unfruitful. Is there another decomposition of x into ab where a belongs to A and B belongs to B?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you show 1 is in A, then that means A=R. Clearly you don't want to do that. What information haven't you used? That A+B=R, ie there exist elements x in A and y in B such that x+y=1.

I have thought about that but it lead nowhere: Write 1 as a + b. Then x1 = xa + xb. Hmm...I see it know. Since R is commutative, xa = ax and so ax is in AB since x is in B. Similarly, xb is in AB. If AB is closed under addition, then surely xa + xb is in AB and so x is in AB. All that remains is to show that AB is closed under addition. Right?

That is part of the *definition* of AB.

AB = {ab : a in A and b in B}. How does that definition demonstrate that AB is closed under addition?

I think you should go and check your definition of the *ideal* AB.

Aha! There is an exercise where AB is defined. I had overlooked it. Thanks a lot.

1. What is a ring in mathematics?

A ring in mathematics is a structure that consists of a set of elements together with two binary operations, addition and multiplication. These operations must satisfy certain properties, such as closure, associativity, and distributivity, in order for the set to be considered a ring.

2. What is an ideal in a ring?

An ideal in a ring is a subset of the ring that is closed under addition and multiplication by any element in the ring. In other words, an ideal is a subset that remains unchanged when multiplied by any element in the ring.

3. How do you solve a rings and ideals problem?

To solve a rings and ideals problem, you must first understand the properties of rings and ideals. Then, you can use these properties to manipulate and simplify expressions in order to solve for a specific variable or prove a statement.

4. Why are rings and ideals important in mathematics?

Rings and ideals are important in mathematics because they provide a fundamental framework for studying algebraic structures. They are used in various areas of mathematics, including abstract algebra, number theory, and algebraic geometry.

5. Can rings and ideals be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, rings and ideals can be applied in real-world situations. For example, they are used in coding theory to construct error-correcting codes, in cryptography for secure communication, and in economics to model certain economic systems. They also have applications in physics, chemistry, and engineering.