1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Rings and Ideals Problem

1. Jul 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If A and B are ideals of a commutative ring R with unity and A + B = R, show that [itex]A \cap B[/itex] = AB.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Showing [itex]AB \subseteq A \cap B[/itex] is easy. I'm having trouble with containment in the other direction:

Let [itex]x \in A \cap B[/itex]. Then x is in A and x is in B. To show that x belongs to AB, it suffices to show that 1 belongs to either A or B and so 1x or x1 belongs to AB. It seems to me that 1 isn't necessarily in A or B so this approach is unfruitful. Is there another decomposition of x into ab where a belongs to A and B belongs to B?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2008 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you show 1 is in A, then that means A=R. Clearly you don't want to do that. What information haven't you used? That A+B=R, ie there exist elements x in A and y in B such that x+y=1.

4. Jul 2, 2008 #3
    I have thought about that but it lead nowhere: Write 1 as a + b. Then x1 = xa + xb. Hmm...I see it know. Since R is commutative, xa = ax and so ax is in AB since x is in B. Similarly, xb is in AB. If AB is closed under addition, then surely xa + xb is in AB and so x is in AB. All that remains is to show that AB is closed under addition. Right?

5. Jul 2, 2008 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is part of the *definition* of AB.

6. Jul 2, 2008 #5
    AB = {ab : a in A and b in B}. How does that definition demonstrate that AB is closed under addition?

7. Jul 2, 2008 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you should go and check your definition of the *ideal* AB.

8. Jul 2, 2008 #7
    Aha! There is an exercise where AB is defined. I had overlooked it. Thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?