Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: A Rings and Ideals Problem

1. Jul 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If A and B are ideals of a commutative ring R with unity and A + B = R, show that [itex]A \cap B[/itex] = AB.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Showing [itex]AB \subseteq A \cap B[/itex] is easy. I'm having trouble with containment in the other direction:

Let [itex]x \in A \cap B[/itex]. Then x is in A and x is in B. To show that x belongs to AB, it suffices to show that 1 belongs to either A or B and so 1x or x1 belongs to AB. It seems to me that 1 isn't necessarily in A or B so this approach is unfruitful. Is there another decomposition of x into ab where a belongs to A and B belongs to B?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2008 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you show 1 is in A, then that means A=R. Clearly you don't want to do that. What information haven't you used? That A+B=R, ie there exist elements x in A and y in B such that x+y=1.

4. Jul 2, 2008 #3
    I have thought about that but it lead nowhere: Write 1 as a + b. Then x1 = xa + xb. Hmm...I see it know. Since R is commutative, xa = ax and so ax is in AB since x is in B. Similarly, xb is in AB. If AB is closed under addition, then surely xa + xb is in AB and so x is in AB. All that remains is to show that AB is closed under addition. Right?

5. Jul 2, 2008 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is part of the *definition* of AB.

6. Jul 2, 2008 #5
    AB = {ab : a in A and b in B}. How does that definition demonstrate that AB is closed under addition?

7. Jul 2, 2008 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you should go and check your definition of the *ideal* AB.

8. Jul 2, 2008 #7
    Aha! There is an exercise where AB is defined. I had overlooked it. Thanks a lot.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook