A rock is THROWN downward. What was the initial height?

In summary, a rock is thrown downward with an initial speed of 27 m/s from an unknown height above the ground. It strikes the ground 7.1 s later and the acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2. Using the equation \Deltax = vit + 1/2 at2, the initial height of the rock can be determined by plugging in the given values. The key is to pay attention to the signs of the values, as the initial velocity will be negative since the rock is thrown downward.
AVReidy

Homework Statement

A rock is thrown downward from an unknown height above the ground with an initial speed
of 27 m/s. It strikes the ground 7.1 s later. Determine the initial height of the rock above the ground. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2. Answer in units of m.

Homework Equations

[itex]\Delta[/itex]x = vit + 1/2 at2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if this equation is correct, first of all, but it has all of the variables given in the problem. I don't know how to deal with the fact that it's thrown down, but I thought the vi would take care of it.

We have acceleration, initial velocity, and time, and the equation solves for displacement. What am I doing wrong? How should this problem be set up differently and why?

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
AVReidy said:
I don't know how to deal with the fact that it's thrown down, but I thought the vi would take care of it.
It will.

We have acceleration, initial velocity, and time, and the equation solves for displacement. What am I doing wrong? How should this problem be set up differently and why?
Looks good so far. What's preventing you from solving it?

Be careful with signs.

We're using a web application that checks the answers for us, and I got it wrong when I entered what I got. I'll try again with the same method, though. I may have messed up the signs, but I also feel like this problem takes more than just plugging into an equation.

A lot of times web applications have to have a specific format for both the values (including proper use of significant figures and rounding) as well as the units.

AVReidy said:
We're using a web application that checks the answers for us, and I got it wrong when I entered what I got. I'll try again with the same method, though. I may have messed up the signs, but I also feel like this problem takes more than just plugging into an equation.
In order to know where you went wrong, we need to know what values you plugged in and what was your result.

(Regardless of the sign convention you use in solving the problem, the answer that they want will be positive.)

I solved this again and got -55.309. This is not correct, and neither is its absolute value.

I'm confident in my 4th grade order of operations ability, so the problem probably lies in how I set this up. Here is what I solved:

[itex]\Delta[/itex]x = 27(7.1) + 1/2(-9.8)(7.1)2
[itex]\Delta[/itex]x = -55.309 Incorrect

AVReidy said:
Here is what I solved:

[itex]\Delta[/itex]x = 27(7.1) + 1/2(-9.8)(7.1)2
Since the rock is thrown downward, what must be the sign of its initial velocity?

Thought about that but hesitated to try it. The absolute value of the solution was correct! Thank you very much, Doc Al. I'm still getting used to watching my signs.

That's a sticking point for a lot of folks when they first start getting into the equations of motion. Just remember that g = -9.8m/s2 only if you define the upward direction to be positive, so in your example, since you throw it downward, the initial velocity is negative.

1. How is the initial height of a thrown rock calculated?

The initial height of a thrown rock is calculated using the formula h = h0 + v0t - 1/2gt^2, where h0 is the initial height, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

2. What is the difference between initial height and final height?

Initial height refers to the height of an object at the beginning of its motion, while final height refers to the height of an object at the end of its motion.

3. Does the angle of the throw affect the initial height?

Yes, the angle of the throw does affect the initial height. The initial height will be higher for a throw at a steeper angle compared to a throw at a shallower angle.

4. Can the initial height be negative?

Yes, the initial height can be negative if the rock is thrown from a position below the reference point (usually the ground).

5. How does air resistance affect the initial height of a thrown rock?

Air resistance can decrease the initial height of a thrown rock, as it can slow down the rock's initial velocity and therefore decrease the distance it travels in the vertical direction.