1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A rod attached to a wall by a hinge, the rod is also attacked to a cord and a pulley

1. Nov 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A simple crane consists of a rigid rod that is hinged to a wall at one end and tied to the wall with a horizontal cable at the other end. The rod makes an angle θ to the wall. At the same end to which the cable is attached there is also a frictionless pulley. The rope that is looped over this pulley is attached to a mass m at one end and is held at the other end so that the weight hangs in equilibrium. Given that the gravitational field is g, what is the tension, T in the horizontal support cable?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi XxseanxX_22@h! :smile:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help. :wink:

4. Nov 29, 2008 #3
    Re: a rod attached to a wall by a hinge, the rod is also attacked to a cord and a pul

well i got mgtanθ

5. Nov 30, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hmm … that's not even an equation, that's only the component of the weight of the mass m along the rod.

(btw, what's the mass of the rod itself?)

Hint: in problems like this, start by saying how many forces there are on the rod, and what they are. :smile:

6. Nov 29, 2010 #5
    Re: a rod attached to a wall by a hinge, the rod is also attacked to a cord and a pul

I know this is another old post, but I found that XxseanxX_22@h has posted identical problems in the past that I have right now, I'm thinking he was potentially in the same class I am in now xD (btw, it is just coincidence we have the same name :S)

I am stuck, for net forces I have found that T=sintheta and 2mg=costheta. I'm not sure if those are right, but I'm also having trouble finding net moment about the rod. Any help?

edit: it doesn't actually give you the mass of the rod in the question

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  7. Nov 30, 2010 #6

Any help please? Would be greatly appreciated!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?