Why Is Calculating Normal Force at the Top of a Rollercoaster Tricky?

In summary, at the top of the rollercoaster, the normal force must be greater than the mg in order to keep the riders from flying off.
vorcil
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9297/masteringphysicsq1.jpg - screenshot of the question

ok the first question asks for the normal force at the top, I'm pretty sure the normal force at the top is (mv^2)/r - mg = ( (51kg * v^2 ) / 18m) - mg

to get the velocity i went 2*pi*18/5.5 which is 20.56 ms^-1

stuck that in mv^2/r -mg = 697.8N, AND I GOT IT WRONG!?
is there something I'm missing?

i did the same thing for the bottom except added mg and got it wrong,

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are given the diameter, not the radius.

Doc Al said:
You are given the diameter, not the radius.

OMFG LOL
cheers mate,

I got the last one correct aswell,

I know at the top the normal force must excel the mg,
so at the point the mg > normal then it will start to fall

so if
mg > mv^2/r ==
51*9.8 = (m*((2*pi*r)/t)^2)/r ==
51*9.8 * r = m*((2*pi*r)/t)^2 ==
squareroot (51*9.8*r) = m*((2*pi*r)/t
longest time for mg to equal Normal force == (m*(2*pi*r))/(51*9.8*r)
and i got 6 seconds which was right XD

vorcil said:
I know at the top the normal force must excel the mg,
so at the point the mg > normal then it will start to fall
Careful here. The riders begin to fall when the normal force goes to zero, not when it drops below mg.
so if
mg > mv^2/r ==
That's what you want. :wink:

(mv^2/r is the centripetal force, not the normal force.)

Doc Al said:
Careful here. The riders begin to fall when the normal force goes to zero, not when it drops below mg.

That's what you want. :wink:

(mv^2/r is the centripetal force, not the normal force.)

So it's the centripetal force that has to be greater than mg?

i get it, but isn't it strange how the centripetal force is acting towards the center, i would've thought because they're going in the same direction it'd make it fall even more
but i know what you mean because it's hitting the side of the rails making it go down and around XD

Centripetal force always acts toward the center, by the nature of circular motion. The word "centripetal" just means "toward the center". But don't think of centripetal force as if it were a separate force, like gravity; instead, it's just a way to describe how the net force must act in circular motion.

At the top of the rollercoaster, the centripetal force is provided by two real forces: The normal force and gravity. The faster the coaster moves, the greater the centripetal force required, thus the greater the normal force that the track must exert to keep the car from flying off into space. If the coaster slows down, the normal force required is less. The slowest it can go and still maintain contact is just at the point where the normal force goes to zero. That means that the only force providing the centripetal force is gravity (mg). If the coaster goes any slower, gravity pulls it off the track and into the air.

Make sense?

1. What is a rollercoaster?

A rollercoaster is a type of amusement ride that is typically found in theme parks and amusement parks. It consists of a track with dips, turns, and loops that is designed to give riders a thrilling experience.

2. How does a rollercoaster work?

A rollercoaster works by converting potential energy into kinetic energy. At the beginning of the ride, the rollercoaster is pulled up to a high point, building potential energy. As it goes down the track, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, which propels the rollercoaster forward.

3. How are rollercoasters designed?

Rollercoasters are designed by engineers and typically go through a rigorous testing process before being opened to the public. The design process takes into account factors such as speed, height, and G-forces to create a safe and thrilling ride.

4. Are rollercoasters safe?

Yes, rollercoasters are generally considered safe when they are properly designed, maintained, and operated. However, there is always a small risk involved with any amusement ride, and it is important to follow all safety guidelines and precautions while riding.

5. How fast do rollercoasters go?

The speed of a rollercoaster can vary greatly, but they typically reach speeds of 50-100 miles per hour. The fastest rollercoaster in the world is currently the Formula Rossa in Abu Dhabi, which reaches a top speed of 149 miles per hour.