Does a man jumping off a rolling cylinder affect its velocity?

In summary, the cylinder's velocity changes to conserve energy after the man is detached and is in motion.
Brilli

Homework Statement

Given a cylinder is rolling purely and a man with mass m is attatched to a point in the circumference of the cylinder. As the man approaches the lowest point he jumps vertically up. Will the velocity of the cylinder increase, decrease or remain same after the man is detached and is in motion as stated above?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As the moment of inertia decreases over time wrt centre of mass of cylinder until man reaches highest position the cylinders velocity changes to conserve energy.

My problem is to explain it in normal terms and not any conservation of anything point of view. Also i am ot sure if my explanation is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Brilli said:
As the moment of inertia decreases over time wrt centre of mass of cylinder until man reaches highest position the cylinders velocity changes to conserve energy.
I don't understand how this relates to the question. Are you referring to the man's rising to highest position while still attached to the cylinder or after jumping up? Either way, it does not seem relevant. The question is only concerned with a brief period around the detachment (jumping up).

Brilli said:

Homework Statement

Given a cylinder is rolling purely and a man with mass m is attatched to a point in the circumference of the cylinder. As the man approaches the lowest point he jumps vertically up. Will the velocity of the cylinder increase, decrease or remain same after the man is detached and is in motion as stated above?

I can't visualise this at all. How do you jump upwards from the bottom of a cylinder? The cylinder is in the way, surely?

PeroK said:
I can't visualise this at all. How do you jump upwards from the bottom of a cylinder? The cylinder is in the way, surely?
I guess it's a hollow cylinder with the man on the inside surface.
upload_2018-3-24_19-6-56.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-24_19-6-56.png
    upload_2018-3-24_19-6-56.png
    2 KB · Views: 715
Likes PeroK
Brilli said:
My problem is to explain it in normal terms and not any conservation of anything point of view.
Consider all the forces acting on the cylinder during the jump. Draw a free body diagram of the cylinder at this time.

Also i am ot sure if my explanation is correct.
I don't believe it's correct.

TSny said:
I guess it's a hollow cylinder with the man on the inside surface.
View attachment 222687
Thank you for your reply. Yes this is the exact figure of the process

Last edited:

1. What is a rolling motion problem?

A rolling motion problem refers to a physics problem that involves an object that is rolling without slipping. This means that the object is both rotating and translating at the same time.

2. How is a rolling motion problem different from other types of motion?

A rolling motion problem is unique because it involves both translational and rotational motion. This makes it more complex than simple linear or rotational motion problems.

3. What factors can affect the rolling motion of an object?

The rolling motion of an object can be affected by several factors, including the mass and shape of the object, the surface it is rolling on, and any external forces acting on the object.

4. How can I solve a rolling motion problem?

To solve a rolling motion problem, you will need to use the principles of rotational and translational motion, as well as any relevant equations such as Newton's laws or the moment of inertia formula. It may also be helpful to draw a free body diagram to visualize the forces acting on the object.

5. What real-world applications involve rolling motion problems?

Rolling motion problems have many real-world applications, such as understanding the movement of wheels on a car or bike, the motion of a ball rolling down a hill, or the rotation of a wheel in a machine. They are also important in fields such as engineering, robotics, and sports science.