Solving the Angle of a Rolling Penny: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, you can start a penny rolling on a table by applying a force in a particular direction, and then solving for the magnitude of the acceleration.
davesface

Homework Statement

If you start a penny rolling on a table with care, you can make it roll in a circle. The coin leans inward with its axis tilted. The radius of the coin is r, the radius of the circular path it follows is R, and velocity is v. Assuming that the coin does not slip, find the angle [tex]\Theta[/tex] that the axis makes with the horizontal

The answer is given as
tan[tex]\Theta[/tex]=(3v2)/(2gR)

I always have problems figuring out how to start the problems, but the answer usually becomes clear after I get past the first step. The only equation that I can think of that would help is I=.5mb2, but since mass isn't mentioned in the problem it seems useless.

So far what I have done is draw a free body diagram of the penny with the force of the penny's weight acting straight down, the normal force acting straight up, and frictional force directing it toward the center of the circular path it follows.

Where would be a good place to start?

Physics news on Phys.org
davesface said:
So far what I have done is draw a free body diagram of the penny with the force of the penny's weight acting straight down, the normal force acting straight up, and frictional force directing it toward the center of the circular path it follows.

Where would be a good place to start?

Hi davesface! :smile:

You've started in the right place, but you've left out the acceleration.

(you don't like acceleration, do you? :wink:)

I have nothing against acceleration, but that free body diagram was the hint that we got about the problem, and it did not include acceleration. I would assume that the acceleration would be toward the center of the circle, though.

davesface said:
I have nothing against acceleration, but that free body diagram was the hint that we got about the problem, and it did not include acceleration. I would assume that the acceleration would be toward the center of the circle, though.

Hi davesface! :smile:

An FBD can include acceleration.

(This is because an FBD works because of Newton's second law … force = mass times acceleration … so acceleration-times-mass can go in the FBD just like force :wink:)

Yes, you're right … the acceleration is toward the center of the circle ("centripetal") … its magnitude is v2/r.

Multiply it by the mass, bung it in the FBD and solve! :smile:

Good stuff.

What is the purpose of solving the angle of a rolling penny?

The purpose of solving the angle of a rolling penny is to understand the physics behind the motion of a rolling object and to be able to calculate the angle at which the penny rolls.

What materials do I need to solve the angle of a rolling penny?

You will need a flat surface, a penny, a ruler, and a protractor.

What is the process for solving the angle of a rolling penny?

The process involves rolling the penny down a flat surface and measuring the distance it travels in a certain time period. Then, using the measured distance and the known dimensions of the penny, you can calculate the angle using trigonometry.

Why is it important to solve the angle of a rolling penny?

Solving the angle of a rolling penny can help us understand the principles of motion and how objects move. It can also be used in real-world applications, such as designing and building efficient wheels for vehicles.

Are there any additional factors that may affect the angle of a rolling penny?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the angle of a rolling penny, such as the surface friction, air resistance, and the shape of the penny. These factors may need to be taken into consideration when conducting the experiment and analyzing the results.