1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A rope and potential energy

1. Dec 1, 2009 #1
    A uniform 3.60- kg rope 23.0 m long lies on the ground at the top of a vertical cliff. A mountain climber at the top lets down half of it to help his partner climb up the cliff.

What was the change in potential energy of the rope during this maneuver?

-This in a moment of inertia assignment, so I'm guessing it uses it somewhere. Don't have a clue after that.

-Help would be appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

It may be a moment of inertia question, but this is a center of mass problem. I'll give you a hint: you can consider an object's mass to be concentrated at its center of mass when calculating gravitational potential energy.

4. Dec 1, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the reply :), but I already tried that and calculated the change to be -203 J, unfortunately it didn't yield a correct answer.

\Delta U=-mgy=203

y=23m/4

EDIT!!!!: looking at this reply I realized the total mass would only be half since only half of the rope was lowered. That solved it, thanks :)!!!!

m=3.6kg/2, implies \Delta U=102J

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook