Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A rose is a rose is a rose

1. Sep 13, 2009 #1
    The Quote is from Gertrude Stein.

So I thought that my tripod was too light for the new lens and I got myself a new one. I decided to try it today on a rose, which happened to be available. Working with available light (not a lot), lowest ISO and optimum aperture (F11) gave shutter speeds in the range 1-2 seconds.

So trials with various scenarios gave these results.

29z61ab.jpg

Which one do you like the most? Any other background color that I should try?

I decided to proceed with the last one, tentatively, and the crops in the lower center and right are lize size from that one. The center one as the standard camera jpg output and the right one after some manual processing of the Raw image, some sharpening, white balance adjustment a lot of chrominance noise reduction and a touch of luminance noise reduction.

The result on 25% size:

2n19y4z.jpg

Tips, requests? suggestions? The rose is still available, but obviously it is changing shape fast

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2009 #2
    Beautiful roses. The quote is often misquoted as you have done in the Title. The correct quote is in the link you provided.

4. Sep 13, 2009 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Not to derail the thread, but I've wondered why that line isn't just considered a paraphrase (at best - plagarism at worst) of Shakespeare?

Anyway, those pics are nice, but I prefer better lighting, plus having some shadows. They seem a little flat to me.

5. Sep 13, 2009 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like the last picture best. Not that I'm in a position to advise, but how about the strategic placing of an insect, a shallower depth of field, and a single point light source?

6. Sep 13, 2009 #5
    I like IMG_6459... I dunno, something about the angle and the way the petals are for the rose is really appealing.

I think if there was a shadow.. Either angled back to the left or right, would make it look 10x better though.

Otherwise, awesome pics :)

7. Sep 14, 2009 #6

drizzle

Gold Member

I like IMG_6446 the most, also IMG_6456...nice pics

8. Sep 14, 2009 #7
    Okay, for Drizzle:

2hcevco.jpg

ilfuxl.jpg

Brewnog, sorry, no cooperative insects around, but a shallower debth of field may not be a good idea:

dwgol.jpg

Then the other suggestions, some variations in light source (filtered sunlight) as well as color tones:

8zjll4.jpg

2unvpsx.jpg

Direct sunlight appears not to be a good idea.

sxhbf6.jpg

9. Sep 14, 2009 #8

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Probably some mix of ambient light and a side light to make the texture more prominent will be the best choice, but not having good light sources ad working with just things that are available at home it is challenging.

I like some of the pictures more, but it is hard to name them - I would probably select 6459 for further trials by myself, then I like the one that goes under the file name 8zjll4.jpg. But they differ in size and it means they differ in details - and that makes a tremendous difference when it comes to the overall effect. Pictures that are stunning when displayed full screen often become dull when sized down.

Still, nice work, there is nothing like playing with a new piece of hardware :smile:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  10. Sep 14, 2009 #9
    Actually there was yet another one that I selected for further trials. This one was all sharpness sacrified to reduce the chroma noise as much as possible together with some creative color management to minimize the tone difference between the petals and daylight.

amzfbk.jpg

The next shot is called "high key" effect but in reality it was invented to minimize the use of printing ink. :tongue:

1pz8z7.jpg

11. Sep 14, 2009 #10

drizzle

Gold Member

cheers Andre, they look a lot more nicer now :smile:

12. Nov 3, 2009 #11
    There happened to be another vase of roses around:

awxpcp.jpg

xl9e1z.jpg

For wall paper perhaps, the same shots here and here, in 1599 x 1066 pixels which seems to be tinypic's limit, Unfortunately it does not allow uploading the original size (4272 x 2848). But pm me and I can mail those.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook