1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A rotational problem please help.

1. Apr 7, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a popular amusement park ride, a cylinder of radius 3.00 m is set in rotation at an angular speed of 5.00 rad/s. The floor then drops away, leaving the riders suspended against the wall in a vertical position. What minimum coefficient of friction between a rider's clothing and the wall of the cylinder is needed to keep the rider from slipping?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I didnt know how to start this problem so any guidance would be helpful. Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What forces act on the rider? Is the rider accelerating? What's the direction of the acceleration? What force provides the centripetal force? What force holds the rider up?

Apply Newton's 2nd law to both vertical and horizontal forces.
  4. Apr 9, 2007 #3
    The forces acting on the rider is gravity, normal force which is equal to the centripetal force and the static friction is keeping the persons from falling. So if I use mus=fs/fn and fn=mv^2/r.
    fs=g g=9.81m/s/s
    and that's what I got. I think this is correct but am unsure.
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?