A Rough Guide to Spotting Bad Science

I think you mean to say "successful". A successful politician many times is not a good one.
Yes I meant good as in skilled, successful. And IMO lying and manipulation is the main trait of a successful politician. Nowadays the politicians in charge are running their campaign, not their country.

Last edited:
Likes OmCheeto
Dotini
Gold Member
And IMO lying and manipulation is the main trait of a successful politician.
And the statement that they lie all the time is nonsense; one must choose when to lie, or one may then never be believed and thus be completely ineffective.
I'm interested in these and other observations on lies. My hypothesis is that sometimes a lie is preferable to an ugly truth. I think three kinds of lie can be justified: beautiful lies, useful lies, and necessary lies.

OmCheeto
Gold Member
I'm interested in these and other observations on lies. My hypothesis is that sometimes a lie is preferable to an ugly truth. I think three kinds of lie can be justified: beautiful lies, useful lies, and necessary lies.

Reminds me of an argument I had with my "Writing 101" instructor, some 30 years ago.

Naive Young Om; "I hate political rhetoric. They're just a bunch of liars. Rhetoric is stupid."
Instructor; "Rhetoric, is beautiful".

In spite of our disagreement, he gave me an "A".

Rhetoric: the art of effective or persuasive speaking

Brain Bam!

Sometimes, I don't, speak, right. But yet, I know, what I'm talking about.

Whenever I hear a lie, even when beautifully spoken, it makes my brain short circuit. And hence, @$&((#$@%&(%(%#^%#......

hmmm....

But Jordan is particularly proud of “Why Can’t We Be Friends?” The song immediately made history when NASA beamed it to the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project in 1975. As Soviet cosmonauts and U.S. astronauts joined together in the cooperative effort, Jordan watched the drama unfold on television with his track playing up in the heavens. “My mind was blown when I heard it playing in space,” Jordan says, still thrilled at the memory. “I love space travel. I haven’t done it physically, but my music has.”

----------------------------
As usual, it's ok to delete this post, as I've saved my thoughts. This should be a new topic.

Likes Dotini