1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Rubber Band?

1. Jan 5, 2004 #1
    A Rubber Band?!?!

OK...i need your help people... i have to construct a vehical that can transport a 1 Kg weight over 10 meters using any materials i please...here's the catch: Its only source of power can be a size-10 rubber band!! It can have no other source of power and it cannot be launched, and all pieces have to move with the vehical. One more thing: the weight cannot move. Please, anyone...HELP ME!!!!! ANY IDEAS?!?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2004 #2

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Ok you want something that can move a weight a certain distance but you are not allowed to move that weight. The problem seems to contradict itself.

4. Jan 6, 2004 #3
    Im sorry, i mistated myself: The weight cannot shift position on the vehicle- it must remain still on the vehicle while it travels.
    For example: I cannot construct a vehicle that uses the swinging motion of the weight as a way to keep it in motion. It has to remain still on the vehicle.

5. Jan 6, 2004 #4

ShawnD

Science Advisor

I did something like this in grade 8 but it was powered by a mouse trap. The best way to get it moving a long distance is to use wheels with very very little area touching the floor. I'm thinking something along the lines of an LP record . Put 2 records as wheels and it'll roll a good 40m if you want it to.

If you don't have any garbage records, you could use some AOL CDs. They give them out for free at Staples :wink:

6. Jan 7, 2004 #5
    LOL

I have a couple here I'm using as coasters...

7. Jan 22, 2004 #6
    thanks for the wheel idea! it worked!

8. Jan 23, 2004 #7
    Thanks for the wheel idea people...its significantly incresed the distance of my vehical. Other students who tried wheels such as skate board wheels didnt go far at all because of too much surface area. My vehical went about 5 meters when others went about 1....if that. They had poor designs with large wheels. The farthest distance was 7.12 meters so that set the standard, therefore....im getting a good grade hahahaha

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?