A Sad Day for British Television

• Thread starter fasterthanjoao
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Television
In summary, the video discusses how violent video games have an impact on children, with the critics stating that video games destroy and corrupt them while the pro-gaming argument tries to use evidence and points out that a certificate system is observed. Alan Titchmarsh later suggests that games violate common decency and is wrecklessly attempting to harm an industry based on a total lack of understanding. The pro-gaming argument's facilities are there for parents who are uncomfortable with their children playing certain types of gaming material, but when it comes to effects such as boosting coordination or increasing IQ, these are purely a bonus.
fasterthanjoao
http://www.destructoid.com/watch-some-hypocrites-attack-videogames-on-british-tv-168784.phtml

For those that can't be bothered watching(!) - the video is a clip from The Alan Titchmarsh show about video-games. The discussion is about the impact violent video games have on children. The critics basically blind-facedly state that video games destroy and corrupt children. The pro-gaming argument attempts to use evidence and points out that a certificate system is observed - the problem we have is that many parents seem to be happy ignoring certificates for games yet for some reason accept them for movies. The problem I have with the program isn't that there is an anti-games bias, it's that later in the clip, Alan Titchmarsh suggests that games violate common decency, and is wrecklessly attempting to harm an industry based on a total lack of understanding.

The facilities are there if parents are uncomfortable with their children playing certain types of gaming material.

I know computer games aren't everyones cup-of-tea and for precisely this reason I think that it's more important than ever that parents have awareness about technology. They need to know that ratings are there to be paid attention - and that all of the current generation consoles have facilities to control the content their children play/watch. In any case, the clear lack of research made (there are several clearly incorrect statements) and the lack of respect/due attention paid to a contributing panel member are violations of multiple sections of the Ofcom code. I, for one, shall be complaining in the hope that we prevent things like this from happening to our future viewing experience.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've read some articles that claim video games actually increase IQ. It is a harmless activity.

I like to come home after school everyday at 5 and un-wind by flying a little bird over a fictitious middle eastern city and shoot things. Keeps me from being angry or what-have-you. Besides the surround sound for my computer makes me more aware of things!

Brian_C said:
I've read some articles that claim video games actually increase IQ. It is a harmless activity.
I can't see it most games increasing IQ, but it can help in hand/eye coordination.

Evo said:
I can't see it most games increasing IQ, but it can help in hand/eye coordination.

I would go along with this.

Though, when I look for entertainment any effects such as boosting coordination or increasing IQ are purely a bonus. I don't worry about such things when I read books or when I watch movies. There just seems to be an attitude in sections of the public that acts as if video games have to explain themselves, and provide some extra-justification for their existence. An anti-video game complaint in that video is that games are interactive and immersive. Isn't immersion the holy grail of holywood cinema? With the advent of the popularization of 3D cinema, we're now seeing filmmakers try to transport us to other worlds - does the anti-games argument mean that horror/violent films shouldn't be allowed in 3D? The comeback there is that 'oh, but cinemas are controlled' - how many people have dvds that have an R/18 cert, I wonder. And if the big tv manufacturers have their way, we'll all soon have 3D tvs at home..

1. What is "A Sad Day for British Television"?

"A Sad Day for British Television" is a documentary that explores the decline of quality and diversity in British television programming.

2. When was "A Sad Day for British Television" released?

"A Sad Day for British Television" was released in 2019.

3. Who produced "A Sad Day for British Television"?

"A Sad Day for British Television" was produced by a team of independent filmmakers.

4. What is the main message of "A Sad Day for British Television"?

The main message of "A Sad Day for British Television" is that the increasing commercialization and homogenization of British television is leading to a decrease in quality and diversity of programming.

5. Are there any solutions presented in "A Sad Day for British Television"?

While "A Sad Day for British Television" does not offer specific solutions, it raises awareness about the issue and encourages viewers to support independent and diverse media sources.